Shadows

Are shadows in the game to look pretty, or do they have an actual purpose? I hope that they play a role in concealment.

..."looking pretty" me guesses. I´ve also thought about units moving or hiding in shadows, should be given extra "concealment" benefits, but with raytraced shadows/dynamic lighting this is probably impossible to code and getting to work with just single processor core support. :(

Technically, games using shadows for concealment FX, have shadowed areas mostly "pre rendered" and thus "marked" on the ground, or special layer map. Objects (player or NPC figures, ect.) moving within those marked spots receive concealment benefits, but without dynamic lighting, those objects yet look fully lit AFAIK.

Haven´t checked latest COD, ARMA2, MOW or Steel Fury Charkov 1942 games about this yet.