God. I hate bogage

The interesting thing about Bocage is how important it is to the Normandy campaign. There's no other campaign I can think of where a particular type of tactical terrain played such an important role.

I think the big thing with the bocage is that it was the first obstacle to the invasion of Europe and so it captured a special place in history, nothing could contrast quite so much with the open desert the Allies had been fighting in previously.

As for tactical terrain the sands of the desert , the cactus hedges of Sicily, Mountains of Italy, the elevated roads of Holland, Flat Steppes of Russia and the Jungles of the Pacific are all I think terrains which presented their own unique challenges on a par with the Norman hedgerows.

If you have taken the cliff, you face exactly that when you have to go on inland in search for the guns.

But that is just the thing the guns were emplaced on the cliff/point itself so you didn't need to go inland. If you look at photos of the point you can see the hedges are well back from the cliff, so an assault on Point Du Hoc wouldn't have encountered bocage, just a 100' cliff which is bad enough!

[...]

But that is just the thing the guns were emplaced on the cliff/point itself so you didn't need to go inland. ...

That's the whole 'gag' of the story. The guns where removed 1 Mile inland before the attack. Most of the Rangers KIA occured after the cliff-attack, because they had to scout&destroy the guns - that was their main objective after all.

If you play enough, you start to realize where obvious defensive positions are likely to be. When you know where an objective is, you know where the likely spots are: behind bocage. And you can shell the heck out of it. But then again if it is a large map, then that means lots of bocage and not enough arty.

That's the whole 'gag' of the story. The guns where removed 1 Mile inland before the attack. Most of the Rangers KIA occured after the cliff-attack, because they had to scout&destroy the guns - that was their main objective after all.

Their casualties came mainly from German counter attacks because they were outnumbered, very exposed and isolated from the rest of the invasion force.

Point is tho' they weren't fighting in the hedgerows.

I`m sorry I started this thread actually.A momentary lapse in patience and too much beer...:)

To be honest everything posted here(except mine) is right. I`ve played CM since release of CMBO and CMN is a great addition/improvement to the series. I love it.

3 cheers for bocage-it`s real and well simulated.

Is this post more positive?No I`m not being sarcastic.

I`m sorry I started this thread actually.A momentary lapse in patience and too much beer...:)

To be honest everything posted here(except mine) is right. I`ve played CM since release of CMBO and CMN is a great addition/improvement to the series. I love it.

3 cheers for bocage-it`s real and well simulated.

Is this post more positive?No I`m not being sarcastic.

LOL we've all had one of those moments mate, good drills!!