Problem deploying MG`s

It doesn't really say "deployed" anywhere, so far as I've found. It'll just say "not deployed" in the profile picture if it's not actually deployed. If you give your MG squad a movement order and hit "/" to give them a deploy order afterwards, they'll start to do it when they stop. You can also check that they've got the order by looking in the proper order tab (can't remember which it is), and making sure that the deploy order is greyed out (currently being ordered to do it).

In the interface if the "Deploy" button is sorta greyed out it is deployed, deploying or will deploy when reaching the end of the set of orders it has. If it is (un)deploying, the unit status on the left just above the interface bar will show the relevant soldier status as "(un)deploying".

Also, the MG unit card will have a big fat NOT DEPLOYED or PARTIALLY DEPLOYED (I really ought to look up that last) printed across it if that is the status.

And there is of course the eyeballing of the unit itself. Is the MG on a tripod?

You aren't the first by any means to have trouble with this but (and please don't take this unkindly) I am forever puzzled how it can be so, given the plethora of cues given to the player. One of those things, I guess.