Shell-proof buildings?

I set up a small QB and had access to 2x 105 howitzers which I decided to off-load onto a town, which was the objective, on the first turn. This was more to observe the effect more than anything else.

The fire sequence took 12 minutes to complete and I was amazed that after 50- 60 rounds falling on and around the town buildings, including hitting roofs and corners, there was absolutely no sign of any damage whatsoever. Not even scars.

Can that be right?

The screenshot got buggered up but I do have the file, if needed.

<snip>

The fire sequence took 12 minutes to complete and I was amazed that after 50- 60 rounds falling on and around the town buildings, including hitting roofs and corners, there was absolutely no sign of any damage whatsoever. Not even scars.

Can that be right?<snip>

Nope.

I am currently watching a bombardment of my guys in a built up area. And after only two minutes (or is it three) there are a whole bunch of buildings totally destroyed. I think it is 105 rounds too but to be sure you would have to ask Gonzo Attacker since he is in control of them:)

Ian

I let rip with a similar barrage to see what it did. It was a pretty broad area I was targetting, so I was a bit disappointed. There were still scarred buildings, and a couple near the middle did get totally dropped. A lot of craters, though. Did you watch in detail? Were rounds actually hitting the same building repeatedly? Was the town wooded? If it was, a proportion of the incoming might have treeburst, with disastrous consequences for troops not in hard cover, but reducing the effect on buildings. And if you selected 'personnel', the fuses would have been timed for airburst, with similar effect to the town having trees in it.

If you have questions about a process, try what I did - make your own scenario and try out different choices and see what develops. I'm learning that a single anecdote around here doesn't amount to a hill of beans. They'll take note of an issue if you can show it to be reproducible and it happens consistently.

There were a few scattered trees but so many as to obstruct the majority of shell strikes.

I believe I chose 'mixed' ordnance.

One not overly large house took two hits right next to the walls and balcony, leaving craters, and a direct hit on the roof - nothing.

Nearby hits will need more than a few detonations to leave scarring, and a single direct hit won't visibly mark most buildings.