Very slow multiplayer

Morning all

I played my first proper QB against a long time gaming pal of mine last night.We chose a map about 1k by 1k and played it "large" - in other words I had a couple of platoons of tanks, a range of HTs and some varous infantry assets. I think he had about the same.

The game was frustrating. We both have fast internet but kept getting a pause message while the game waited for network data, and then in the end the game crashed and I got an error message on my GTS 250 1Gb card saying it was out of memory! I have a quad core system with 4Gb of ram.

We started again with a slightly smaller map of about 1000m by 800m and I put all my graphics settings to fastest. The pause message only came up a couple of times in this game as there were fewer units on the map, but I kept getting multiple redraws of the map and the game resorting to a very low graphics quality - and I could tell my system was really on the edge. Next time I'll run Fraps alongside to check framerate.

Is this to be expected? I was really surprised. Many of the bigger maps played against the AI had caused no such graphics problems/redraws and my system can handle the graphics hungry Crysis without too much of a hitch. Does this mean that until systems get even more powerful we are restricted to real time games of small size?

Is anyone else getting this?

Incidentally until we get a pause function in real time multiplayer I suspect the game is pretty much unplayable... unless you want to turn it into Company of Heroes.

Define "fast internet"

How did you guys connect to each other, do you both go direct from your PC into a modem and as such just use a direct IP address or do you use a client such as Hamachi

This isn't likely to be a graphics issue, as far as i'm aware no graphical information is sent in multiplayer.

Go to these 2 websites

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://pingtest.net/

And run a test on each and let us know the results

A number of RT people play without pause, but I'm not one of them. The more units you have though the harder it is to play RT, even with pause.

There is a personal threshold for each player, where the unit count becomes un-manageable in RT and the experience is better in WEGO. For most players that is, there is a group on both extremes, 1 unit is un-manageable in RT and those who can handle a battalion with out pause. I tried to play a mechinized Brit battalion sized mission once in RT that started the game on-map. Was hell.

But I digress....

Point I was trying to make is if you and your buddy are dug in to play RT MP, play with less points and slowly increase till you both find your threshold

My friend and I were on a LAN and it was ok, but we did get that same crash with 'out of memory' both laptops were of decent specs. Keep meaning to post to the support forum about it. There is almost always a crash with one of the players. 1.0 of anything is far from perfect. I assume this will get addressed down the road.

Jonny - It is true that we were using hamachi, simply because I reside behind a proxy server that sometimes causes multi player issues. However I believe I can do a direct link up now so will turn off hamachi and go for a direct link tonight and see what happens. I am on an 8 d/l and 2 u/l connection, my partner being on something slightly slower in terms of the upload I think - maybe 1.

I'll run the speedtest progs suggested tonight as we are supposed to be hooking up again, and let you know the results.

Graphics should be determined only by your own computer's speed. Make sure you have a lot of RAM freed up by quitting non-escential programs (which technically is everything but the OS and CM ;)).

I honestly don't know where the cutoff is for upload speed for specific sized battles or, actually, in general. Your upload speed is pretty slow considering your download, but hey... that's the wonders of the info super highway!

Steve

Graphics should be determined only by your own computer's speed. Make sure you have a lot of RAM freed up by quitting non-escential programs (which technically is everything but the OS and CM ;)).

I honestly don't know where the cutoff is for upload speed for specific sized battles or, actually, in general. Your upload speed is pretty slow considering your download, but hey... that's the wonders of the info super highway!

Steve

But on single player I have no graphics problem, whereas on multiplayer the graphics are really struggling - including the one blow out through a 1Gb card running out of memory. So clearly there is a graphics related issue linked to internet speed as Jonny suggests?

Yeah - my upload speed is clearly rubbish. Never bothered to check it before, but I am awaiting the arrival of a new superfast lease line into my work residence here and that may well put an end to any link problems.

Jonny - I'll drop hamachi and see what happens. I'll post back later.