Target Arcs

When and if BF gets around to revamping the UI. I hope they will take a look at target arcs and how they work. Currently target arcs are fixed on a units movement path and move as the unit moves. This is fine in some situations but other situations might require the arc to stay fixed on the terrain it was originally placed.

For example: I suspect an enemy squad is set up in a building so I set my arc to cover the building so as to maximize my opportunity to spot the enemy. Currently as I move closer to or move parallel to the building, the arc will move off the building. In these situations I would like the arc to extend or modify itself but stay fixed on the building.

Ideally the user should have the option to set the behavior of the arc either way.

Yep, I know you can plot another way-point and then reset your arc which is a fantastic addition and there are times when this is required such as when you want your unit to focus on a totally different area than before but the downside to way-points is that the unit must pause to reorganize at each way-point.

I suppose we have to work with what we have but it would seem to me, especially when playing RT, that having to have multiple way-points for the sole purpose or resetting target arcs could be handled much more efficiently (from the players pov) just by letting the arc stay fixed on the terrain, providing of course the unit wants to stay focused on the same area during the entire course of movement.

Perhaps its too difficult a thing to code, but I actually see much more reason to have the arc stay fixed rather than moving relative to the units movement.

Yep, I know you can plot another way-point and then reset your arc which is a fantastic addition and there are times when this is required such as when you want your unit to focus on a totally different area than before but the downside to way-points is that the unit must pause to reorganize at each way-point.

I suppose we have to work with what we have but it would seem to me, especially when playing RT, that having to have multiple way-points for the sole purpose or resetting target arcs could be handled much more efficiently (from the players pov) just by letting the arc stay fixed on the terrain, providing of course the unit wants to stay focused on the same area during the entire course of movement.

Perhaps its too difficult a thing to code, but I actually see much more reason to have the arc stay fixed rather than moving relative to the units movement.

I hear what you're saying. There's some difficulty in that you'd have to have a way of distinguishing between 'relative' Cover Arcs and 'absolute' Cover Arcs (call it 'Cover Area', perhaps). If they choose to implment the 180 Cover Arc by holding Ctrl, it'll need to be a whole new command. To go along with the "Cover Armour" and "Cover Soft", which would also need the new 'absolute' variations, giving you 6 different Cover Arcs where we now only have 1... :)