Gunners firing through trees - with bad results

It's cool that each tree we see represents an actual tree that blocks line of fire as well as line of sight. It's not so cool that our gunners don't seem to realize the danger of hitting trunks near friendly infantry.

I just wiped out half a squad of my own when my Priest failed repeatedly to fire through a treeline. Intended target was a few hundred meters away but instead it kept hitting the same tree only a few dozen meters away. 2nd Squad, taking a breather right there, was not pleased.

I can see this being an occasional risk but it seems to happen far too often.

**********SCENARIO SPOILER FOLLOWS - DELAYING ACTION*********

I noticed as American in the Delaying Action scenario that if I place mortars and FO on the map edge farthest from the enemy, they are elevated enough to target the German trenches and AT guns on the American left flank. Oddly, though, if I go to their ground level and look with trees visible, I cannot see the same targets for the tree foliage. Apparently, the game code permits a degree of visibility through tree foliage, perhaps varying depending upon height of the observer relative to the target and the tree tops.

**********SCENARIO SPOILER FOLLOWS - DELAYING ACTION*********

I noticed as American in the Delaying Action scenario that if I place mortars and FO on the map edge farthest from the enemy, they are elevated enough to target the German trenches and AT guns on the American left flank. Oddly, though, if I go to their ground level and look with trees visible, I cannot see the same targets for the tree foliage. Apparently, the game code permits a degree of visibility through tree foliage, perhaps varying depending upon height of the observer relative to the target and the tree tops.

More spoilers: even better, the German units on the road which might be able to get a peek at your mortars don't find big enough holes to get bullets and DF HE through, though this troubles your mortar bombs not one whit.