Relative AI. Practical game techniques.

What do people do with regard to the relative spotting. For the WEGO people, do you check each HQ each turn? (which is sort of what I do) Check each spotter? (someone at the top of a building...often still an HQ because of mortar spotting)

Technically, I guess a peripheral squad with poor C2 could be spotting a tank, which would only be seen by clicking on each squad. But are most WEGO players clicking on every squad every turn? (I am not)

But the real question is for real-time players: this puts a very practical element into play. In a 30 minute scenario, playing head to head at Iron Man level (never tried it--it has got to be intense), there has to be some "conservation of clicks" to optimize play--looking around means one is not giving orders. What are some strategies?

If you've got no unit selected you'll see all the icons seen by all your units I think. If something interesting pops up, you can select it and see which of your units can see it. If it's seen by one of your HQ's or an FO you can call in artillery or choose to move your units to get the enemy in your LOS.

This is how I do it, but it might be that I don't understand your question/problem

So far I use pause a lot and don't have any reason to apologize. WEGO has arbitrary pauses, and RT doesn't. I think the frequency that I will use pause will vary from scenario to scenario. The only problem with RT is that you can't use the replay movie to figure out what happened everywhere. I have decided that this is not a problem but a benefit. It puts you more realistic in the position of the company commander.

... It puts you more realistic in the position of the company commander.

True, but you lose out on so much "cool" stuff that goes on. When your very own Tube Guy pulls of his heroic feat you probably won't even be aware of it, let alone able to enjoy the action from 36 different angles 57 times over.

Still each to their own.

So far I use pause a lot and don't have any reason to apologize. WEGO has arbitrary pauses, and RT doesn't. I think the frequency that I will use pause will vary from scenario to scenario. The only problem with RT is that you can't use the replay movie to figure out what happened everywhere. I have decided that this is not a problem but a benefit. It puts you more realistic in the position of the company commander.

Which is fine if you're happy to let the AI handle everything else, but as I read the game, it's written so that you are also the commander of each squad/team/vehicle as well as company CO.

It puts you more realistic in the position of the company commander.

There are plenty of good reasons to prefer RT over WEGO, but this is one I have never understood.

Given the demonstrated enthusiasm and frequency with which RT players use the pause button, it seems clear that the single greatest thing they fear is something happening which they can't respond to LIKE OMFG RIGHT NOW! I just do not see how that can even vaguely be considered 'more realistic.'

WEGOers, on the other hand, have embraced the chaos, let go their fears, believe in their plans, and placed trust in their soldiers. They also get to pick up the pieces of a course of action that's gone disastrously wrong after every 60 elapsed seconds :D

Iron Mode and WEGO play: You watch your full turn from 'drone-view' first time and then rewind and select-deselect units and view-high as you need for fun and plotting your next move. If a icon of one of your unit flashes when no unit is selected, it has got casualties, if faded out it has 'routed'. If you select a unit it's icon flashes also, but this time to indicate that it is selected and all the other icons are the units it can spot.

It's really not that hard after some time, when you got used to the controlls.

True 'bad-ass'-mode is WEGO-Iron mode with only ground view of selected units, far zoomed-out top-down view only allowed for HQs (map). Zoomed view only when optics are available. Icons only on map-view. But you need as much time as for a table-top battle in the basement.

Some military symbols icon mod is usefull (better distinguishable).

Yes, I remember playing some CMBO paratroop drop scenarios where it was recommended that on play from ground level view only--and how difficult it made it.

I had forgotten that RT has the pause button--since I have only done WEGO. I was trying to imagine a non-paused H2H RT battle at the higher levels, and the decisions one would have to quickly make as to how much time to take to "look around".

What do people do with regard to the relative spotting. For the WEGO people, do you check each HQ each turn? (which is sort of what I do) Check each spotter? (someone at the top of a building...often still an HQ because of mortar spotting)

From page 33 of the manual:

Unlike CMx1’s “Borg” spotting, units do not automatically share their spotting with all friendly units: this is known as relative spotting. For example, if one of your units spots an enemy anti-tank gun, a nearby unit might not see the same anti-tank gun at all! The unit will have to spot the anti-tank gun on its own, or have the information passed to it through the C2 network. You can tell which of your units can spot an enemy unit by clicking on the enemy unit icon. Your units that have currently spotted and confirmed it will have highlighted icons.