AI Plan Questions/Discussions

As they come to me, I will post them here. I keep running into things. I solve most myself, but it helps to have a little experienced help now and then to smooth the way.

----------

On-Map Mortars, The TacAI, and You...

I think I am doing this right, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

So, I have 2 81mm mortar teams and their HTs. I have their platoon HQ and a sniper.

I want the AI to have the mortars ready from behind buildings, and the HQ up in a house to spot and relay.

To make this happen reliably, I had to place the HQ and sniper in one group, and the mortars in another.

Mortar group has one small setup zone order for whole battle.

HQ/Sniper group sets up in same area, then has a quick order to upper floors of the two buildings.

It works. It's deadly if the HQ has a good view. But it uses two of my precious eight groups.

I tried with one group and ended up with mortar teams on the top floor of a house by turn two. :rolleyes:

The AI changes the exact setups every time, so placing the HQ and sniper upstairs during scenario construction doesn't make it either.

Is this correct? Is there a more efficient way?

-----------------

Rokko is right that you don't have to have an AI set up zone, however you will still need one group to allocate all non moving units to.

So if you can place, the mortars, HQ and sniper in their desired final location and you can get away with just using one AI group.

You might be able to get away with painting set up zones for the HQ and snipers in any good location, while setting the mortars up without a set up zone and the HQ and sniper will set up somewhere in their zone. (I would test this first)

edit a quick test confirms this works, so you can do what you are after using just one group.

HTH

P