Norman highways: how many lanes?

What did a Norman highway -- or whatever other type of major road there might have been -- look like in the 1940s? How many lanes? What kind of surface and sealing? Any road surface markings? Basically I'm asking how best to build a Norman or generic French period highway in the editor.

Also, would the "normal" railway lines have one or two (or several!) sets of tracks?

Thanks.

Frankly, the French highway network was pretty much non-existent during the WWII time frame (unlike in Italy and Germany). It only got somewhat serious in the late 50's, and saw major development beginning in the 70's.

As for railways, important ones would always have two sets of tracks, but small ones could definitely have a single set. And things can get a bit complicated near a train station, of course...

So, aside from the "Nationale" numbered highways and the the Bayeux-St Lo and the St Lo-Isigny ones, what would the secondary and lower roads have been like? I'm assuming that the little lanes around farms and between fields would have been dirt. And the roads through villages would have been paved, but about the single-lane roads in between?

Smaller roads, typically beetween villages, are called "routes departementales" ; their name starts with a "D" ; for instance : D8.

Some of them probably were asphalt roads. In 1932 100,000km of Nationales and Departementales were already asphalted in France.

So i would say a mix of paved and asphalted roads.

http://www.lcpc.fr/francais/sources-d-information/hist_routes/article/lcpc-sources-d-informations-391