More little issues

Some mysteries in unit makeup:

Why do US Infantry Company HQ units have two radio operators (for one radio)? Why does this same HQ have no binoculars, unlike every other HQ?

Why do US scout teams carry two demolition charges? A bit odd for scouts, or am I missing something?

Good questions. The soldier models for each of the US radio operators shows each of them with a radio on his back. Oddly, the soldier model used for German radio operators doesn't show any radio at all.

Must be that advanced German technology. They all carried iPhones.

Good questions. The soldier models for each of the US radio operators shows each of them with a radio on his back. Oddly, the soldier model used for German radio operators doesn't show any radio at all.

Its being worked on for the German radio bmp file. The Germans still have radio capability but not a bmp to show a radio on the backs. Hopefully will be on the patch for CMBN.

250px-Scr300.png

Maybe for this reason?

Presumably, the guy on the left is the officer (captain). Unless US company headquarters use different radios, (two man instead of one man), than the rest of the US HQ units, I would assume it is a "typo". The extra radio operator should be replaced with a binoculars-equipped spotter.

As it is, US Inf CO HQ units are the most expensive HQ unit in the game (44 points for vanilla) and they are half blind to boot (without any binoculars).

Worth noting that by June, 1944, at least some U.S. units (e.g., the 29th Infantry Division) were apparently using the SCR-536 "Handie Talkie" units for radio communications within the Rifle Companies, rather than the backpack SCR-300. By June 1944 TOE, each platoon in the 29th was supposed to have an SCR-536, and the Company Co. team had one, too.

I don't know whether the Company Co. team also carried an SCR-300 or similar backpack radio for communicating with Battalion, as well. But if so, this might explain why Company Commander unit has 2 radiomen -- one with an SCR-536 for communicating down the chain, one with the backpack SCR-300 for communicating up.

Lack of binoculars is a small TO&E bug. Weapons Company is also missing them.

My first thought on the radio operators is that the Inf Co. HQ would have two radios: an SCR-300 for comms to battalion and an SCR-536* for comms to platoons, but then so would the Weapons Company and that HQ only has one radio op, so not sure if this is a TO&E bug or not.

*note there is no 3D model for the SCR-536 in the game, so platoons still appear to have SCR-300s.

Are you coming from a realism point of view (e.g. US HQ units historically were always equiped with binoculars and radios) or from a playability one?

I don't claim to know enough about WWII TOEs to state definitively that US Inf Co HQs only had one radio operator and carried binoculars, but it is the only HQ in the game with this peculiar organization of two radio operators and no binoculars. I assume it is a typo.

Likewise with the US Scout Teams hauling around 2 demolition charges. I suppose it could be handy in game terms, but it doesn't seem likely that demo charges were standard kit for scouts. I assume this is a typo as well.

I don't claim to know enough about WWII TOEs to state definitively that US Inf Co HQs only had one radio operator and carried binoculars, but it is the only HQ in the game with this peculiar organization of two radio operators and no binoculars. I assume it is a typo.

Not necessarily. US forces had a substantial advantage over the Germans in the number of radios they were able to field. As noted, by 1944, the U.S. was often able to supply a radio to every platoon in a rifle company, something the Germans were never able to do.

So, while I don't have the TOE handy to check, a U.S. Company commander with 2 radiomen makes sense - one with the SCR-536 handling traffic with the platoons, one with the SCR-300 for communicating with Battalion.

Worth noting that the SCR-526 uses AM band, and the SCR-300 uses FM band, so they can't communicate with each other. So the Company Co. has to carry both radios if he wants to be able to communicate both with his Company units, as well as Battalion and up. This might sound like a strange way of doing things, but it did have the advantage of reducing interference, cross-talk, and keeping the two comms channels (within the company, and from the company to higher-level units) distinct.

Edit do add: Don't know about the other stuff. Lack of binos for the Company Co. definitely sounds like an error.