driving through trees

did you check the crew's fatigue level. it's possible they were so fatigued they were just hallucinating about the tree.

Possible i suppose, but they drove straight through two trees. Like they knew they could break the laws of nature. I thought i better report this to the Fringe Division they may want to come and do one of those protocol thingamabobs

Yep; vehicles will sometimes "clip" trees, and sometimes other graphics like the corners of buildings.

IIRC, this is a compromise to make vehicle pathing perform better -- early in CMSF, there was all sorts of problems with vehicles taking wonky patterns in tight terrain, so they adjusted the code to allow some clipping, which reduced this problem.

There are specific ground types that vehicles are not allowed to pass through, so if a scenario designer wants to make a patch of woods too dense for vehicles, he can do so by adjusting the ground type.

I had a Panzer drive straight through a large single tree (not in a forest) till the tree was sticking up through the center of the turret. then the tank advanced till the tree was in the engine compartment and finally reversed so that the tree passed all the way down the center of the vehicle.

My screen cap didn't take.

I don't think trees are one to one graphically anyway. They just show you you're in a forest not where every trunk is. Am I wrong?

No, trees are 1:1 and occupy the space as you see them. And infantry will use them as cover accordingly. Depending on the ground type (scenario designer chooses ground type separately from placing trees), there may be a fair amount of smaller abstracted cover & concealment underneath the trees -- smaller saplings, fallen branches & stumps, small patches of ferns & bushes etc. -- the game does abstract smaller-level cover like this to some degree. So by mixing tree placement and ground type, a scenario designer can potentially portray a very carefully manicured stand of oaks on a country estate, with very little additional cover other than the tree trunks themselves. Or he can go to the other end of the spectrum, and portray an uncultivated bramble, with relatively few large trees, but lots of other (more abstracted) ground cover.

The aforementioned vehicle "clipping" thing is an exception to the above, so Charles doesn't have to spend quite so much time programming pathing AI.

I had a Panzer drive straight through a large single tree (not in a forest) till the tree was sticking up through the center of the turret. then the tank advanced till the tree was in the engine compartment and finally reversed so that the tree passed all the way down the center of the vehicle.

My screen cap didn't take.

Yep that is exactly what this stug did twice