Modding Transparent Textures

What do I need to do to modify transparent textures, with alpha channels? Whenever I save out the .bmp and start up BN the textures are not displaying any transparency at all, depending on how I save out the .bmp the textures are either texture+white background or totally black.

So far my grain mod isn't looking very nice :D

- I should also mention that I use GIMP.

You are adding an alpha channel and not working on a layer or the bmp itself, correct? You shouldn't be seeing white and black backgrounds if you have an attached alpha.

Also, I'm not sure how gimp works, but in Photoshop there's an alpha channel check box that needs to be checked in order to keep the alpha with the bmp.

I've got a single layer with the grain on it and four channels: red, green, blue and alpha. I tried saving out as 16, 24 and 32 bit images using a variety of settings but didn't have any luck.

Edit: Found it, I don't know how I missed that, I must have tried every single setting but the correct one :P

Correct settings for exporting transparent images in Gimp for CM:

One layer - "32 bits A8 R8 G8 B8" (under "advanced")

Edit2: Ok now I'm not sure that's working, textures seem very washed out and dark now ...

Hmm, interesting. Just checked out the bmp write options in Photoshop. The default settings for saving the bmp with an alpha are as follows:

Basic Mode

File Format: Windows

Depth: 32 bit

Advanced Mode

16bit:

A1 R5 G5 B5

These settings seem to work for the bases at least.

Been a while since I did this, and I've long forgotten, but the way I figured it out (in GIMP) was to take an existing object that had working alpha channels and edit it that way. Like the grilled balcony type.

I think it also has to do with the "number of bits" in the BMP file you save. DR how many -- the sample object should help.