Easy Mortar Test For You

Load up "Roadblock" training mission.

Have your 4th platoon HQ do a preplanned mortar strike (line strike, far side of map, no LOS, medium,max) with your on board mortar.

Now according to the book this strike SHOULD always be on target.

Was it?

For me, the first 15 rounds were all off target. Then they eventually found their mark. Not how it should work.

Well, all previous games indicate a trend towards this being the case.

Say, is this the mission from the training campaign? I can't recall, did the 81s fire all their own rounds or were they getting some from ammo bearers?

Because if something made the barrage shift after 15 rounds it might be because of a switch in ammo suppliers that might be foking things up. I would expect a strike in progress to continue at the target location until corrected. Something changed after 15 rounds.

Or possibly because a bug with on map mortars not fully coping with the pre-planned barrage thing. It is still firing because that was what it was told but can't quite figure the pre-planned aspect of it, and only after the duration it took o fire 15 rounds does the strike come through the regular process as if it was called in through through an FO and thus gets on target?

Dunno, just blurting out possibilities.

What makes you think that a mortar strike guided solely by a set of map coordinates "SHOULD always be on target"? There are lots of other factors affecting the delivery of rounds other than the spotter's ability to correct fire.

Because the manual says that all preplanned strikes are on target. Period.

Anyways already reported as bug. Good. Progress!

Well, all previous games indicate a trend towards this being the case.

Say, is this the mission from the training campaign? I can't recall, did the 81s fire all their own rounds or were they getting some from ammo bearers?

Because if something made the barrage shift after 15 rounds it might be because of a switch in ammo suppliers that might be foking things up. I would expect a strike in progress to continue at the target location until corrected. Something changed after 15 rounds.

Or possibly because a bug with on map mortars not fully coping with the pre-planned barrage thing. It is still firing because that was what it was told but can't quite figure the pre-planned aspect of it, and only after the duration it took o fire 15 rounds does the strike come through the regular process as if it was called in through through an FO and thus gets on target?

Dunno, just blurting out possibilities.

No. It is a bug that causes any pre-planned "linear" mission for an on-map asset to fire the first set of rounds predictably off target. Point and area missions should be fine.