Help with Geforce FX 5500

Just installed this card and the graphics in both CMBB and CMAK are screwed up.

Read in sticky about turning off anitaliasing as possible solution. However, can't figure out where/how to do that. Have checked control panel for the card but can't seem to find the right tab.

The new video card is Geforce FX 5500, 256mg running 77.72 as the forceware.

Thanks

The Nvidia drivers shouldn't have had a problem with the CM series for quite awhile now, so I'm not sure why you're seeing problems. What exactly is screwed up, text and/or certain parts of the information panel at the bottom ?

Generally the default setting for Anti-Aliasing when the driver is installed is "Application-controlled" which will mean that it is off for CM's purposes. Go to Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced button > GeForce FX5500 tab > in the popup menu that appears on the left side of the control panel go to Performance & Quality Settings > on the right-hand side in the Global driver settings section the first item will be Anti-Aliasing. Below that is the slider where you can slide it all the way to the left for "off". There is also a checkbox underneath for "Application-controlled". When that is checked the slider grays out and it is left to the individual program to control that setting. In CM's case there is no direct control over anti-aliasing and it is therefore off.

There is no detail on for terrain or any of the other graphics. I see what appear to be hexogonal shapes for vehicles, have no uniform detai and all terrain is absent (ie nothing in maps). What I see is different color squares but no tress, hills, etc.

The intro screens and game select screens are all ok, it's just when I attempt to play a scenario. It's as if the 3d graphics are not loading.

All the info panels are ok.

Additionally, when I go to the game, I do not get an option for 1024x768 for either CMAK or CMBB. I've deleted/reinstalled both my Nvidia drivers and hardware via the device manager.

Also, although the problem is with both CMAK and CMBB, CMBB does not appear in the list of installed programs I can add or remove. When I try to remove it manually by deleting the files, I get a an error msg. Naturally I'm trying to install/reinstall the program to see if something was corrupted. But I can't do that as well.

[ July 02, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: dfgardner1 ]

When I upgraded my NVidia video card to another NVidia video card I had to reinstall a lot of stuff to make everything work under Windoze, among other things half-life 2 and ghost recon. No problems under Linux, of course.

Anyway, start with uninstalling the NVidia video drivers, then reinstalling DirectX, then installing NVidia video drivers again. If that doesn't help, reinstall CM.

I think its the 3d graphics are not loading. All the splash screens load fine, as well as the tool bar, the scenario selection, start up etc.

It's only after I select a game or qb or whatever and load. Then, as I said, the lower control panel is fine, but the game screen display does not show the 3d graphics.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled both games several times, uninstalled reinstalled my video card and drivers.

I'm at my wits end.

Go to the Start menu > Run command > type in dxdiag. This will run the DirectX Diagnostic. Go to the Display tab and check the settings to see if any of them are disabled, especially Direct3D Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration (if they're enabled there will be a 'disable' button). Click on the Test Direct3D button and make sure everything works properly.

What videocard did you have installed previously ? Have all the drivers for it been removed ? Have you installed 'chipset' drivers for your motherboard (these typically have drivers for the AGP port that can affect compatibility) ? What are the AGP settings in your CMOS/BIOS setup ? You may want to make sure that some of the values such as 'AGP Driving Value' are set to Auto.

What was the 'error' that you got trying to manually uninstall the games ? Assuming that you're running Windows 2000/XP you may want to open up a command prompt and type in CHKDSK C: /F. This will run a check-disk diagnostic on your file system and hopefully fix any errors if there are any.

Ran dxdiag and got this result:

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.

Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Reinstalled Direct X 9.0, ran test again and got same failure.

[ July 03, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: dfgardner1 ]

That sounds strange.

I'd suggest uninstalling your video drivers (from the Add / Remove Programs control panel, not the Device Manager). This will require a reboot. Don't install the drivers when Windows first prompts you for 'New Hardware'. Instead cancel out of those dialog boxes, turn off any anti-virus or any other utility running in the background and then install the Nvidia drivers (and of course reboot afterwards).

Your video drivers shouldn't be failing any of the Direct3D DirectX tests. Hopefully the driver reinstall will fix this issue.

I'm at a loss on what to recommend at this point. The driver version you're using shouldn't have this problem and I doubt that the FX 5500 hardware is unique enough to be experiencing this particular problem by itself.

There may be some sort of registry corruption somewhere, but I don't know where at within the registry. The only thing I can recommend at this point is a complete reformat and reinstallation of Windows. That may be a bit extreme and labor intensive if you have a lot to backup and reinstall.

I'm running this card, bought it last week.

No dramas here. Initial dramas because of the windows drivers but the drivers from the disc sorted it out.

Geforce FX 5500 256mb

Driver version 6.1.7.6

Deleting the CM preferences and reselecting may help?

Originally posted by Richie:

I'm running this card, bought it last week.

No dramas here. Initial dramas because of the windows drivers but the drivers from the disc sorted it out.

Geforce FX 5500 256mb

Driver version 6.1.7.6

Deleting the CM preferences and reselecting may help?

Interesting, my driver is 77.72. Do you know where/how to get older drivers? I don't see where on the Nvidia site.

Also, is your card PCI or AGP?

Originally posted by Richie:

Actually the folder is 45mb...

I found on the Nvidia site where they archive the drivers. I'll load the one you have and see how it goes.

Thanks.

What processor are you running? Mine's an AMD 2800+. I had the FX 5200 128 Mg card and CM games worked fine with that one.

You've actually reformatted and reinstalled Windows and you still get the error with DirectX 7 tests ? You didn't just reinstall Windows over your current installation did you ? If you did, then the potential problem may still be present (a defective registry entry, etc.).

What eMachines model do you have ? Do you know what specific motherboard it has (ECS motherboards are common for them) ?

No I've not reinstalled Windows or reformated since this problem started. I have reinstalled direct X.

Its eMachine T2825. I don't know the motherboard.

Here's what comes up on emachines site as specs:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP 2800+ Processor (2.083 GHz) with QuantiSpeedâ„¢ architecture

NVIDIA® nForce™2

512 MB DDR (PC 2700)

120 GB HDD 1

48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD; 8-in-1 Media Reader(USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)

NVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)

10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet

56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem

nForceâ„¢ 6-channel Audio

Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers

5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out

7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d

Download and install new drivers for the AGP port. Either from ECS or from NVidia (note: not the video drivers, the chipset drivers for nForce 2).

Also try disabling the onboard card in the BIOS, if possible. Although I guess it will be automatic when you plug in an AGP card.

Is the onboard card working with dxdiag?

• 2 weeks later...

Aw man, I just received my new Geforce FX 5500 256 MB (today) and coincidentally, just idling I started reading the tech posts and I ran into this thread!

It seems I didn't do my homework, I was under the impression that NVidia cards were mostly compatible with CMxx... One of the deciding factors was that I wanted to see FOG :(

Any good advice would be welcome before I install the card (if I decide to install it that is). Also, if you know of issues of this card with other games I would be grateful to know it.

My system is Dell 8200, Win XP SP2, P4 2.0 Ghz, 640 RAM, DX 9.0b, current card is ATI Radeon 9200 which I'm not very satisfied with. CMxx runs, well somewhat fine but I see a black splotch in the lower right corner (and no fog...)

As long as you have a sufficient power supply, a well ventilated case and the correct chipset/AGP drivers installed, you should be fine.

The latest BIOS for the Dimension 8200 series is A09. The Intel 850 chipset should work fine with the Nvidia card with its support for AGP 4X.

Whether you have issues like the original poster or not is debatable. Generally all of the Nvidia cards should work with the CM series and the latest drivers seem to be fine for most people. There's always the possibility that you may have an unique issue (as could anyone).