Tank mounted Infantry?

What am I doing wrong?

You can't let infantry ride tanks in the game.

While it was done IRL, the soldiers would dismount before the actual battle... unless they're Soviet. :D

In addition to the questionable historical use, it would present the game with a lot of problems. Like, what happens if the tank fires it's maingun? Can it fire it's maingun? Will the infantry automatically dismount once under fire? Etc.

That's something BFC decided not to implement. Because it was really not used during battle. And with that in mind why use coding resources towards it?

If you do a search there is a discussion about it around here somewhere. I'm on my iPhone at the moment or I'd search it myself.

That's something BFC decided not to implement. Because it was really not used during battle. And with that in mind why use coding resources towards it?
Indeed. Time was spend on a myriad other small things. This may, or may not, change for future games, depending on various factors.

You can't let infantry ride tanks in the game.

While it was done IRL, the soldiers would dismount before the actual battle... unless they're Soviet. :D

In addition to the questionable historical use, it would present the game with a lot of problems. Like, what happens if the tank fires it's maingun? Can it fire it's maingun? Will the infantry automatically dismount once under fire? Etc.

While I fully appreciate that its not in the game for the excellent reasons you state, infantry did ride on tanks in Western Europe, even into battle. I cant find a specific quote right now (at work) but the Irish Guards certainly started out Operation Market Garden riding on their tanks and went into combat on them, several being killed in the process.

So it was done at times. However, the game of CM doesnt specifically need them in my opinion.

No tan riders in CMBN. It's been discussed and the issue revolves around creating new animtaions for tank riders and programming new behaviours etc for how these guys behave on a tank when they are shot at, or the tnak wants to turn it's turret etc. It's not dead in the water as for the Eastern Front this will be a must have and is recognised as such. Not sure if it'll get into before but we can but hope.

FWIW in Normandy in the main period the game covers although troops rode tanks it was more to be transported to the edge of the battlefield then dismount and fight rather than drive staright into action. In saying that when the US were breaking out from Normandy in August there are accounts of guys riding tanks and fighting from their mounts. Not many though so it's more an exception rather than a common occurance. East Front as said differant kettle of fish. :)

While I fully appreciate that its not in the game for the excellent reasons you state, infantry did ride on tanks in Western Europe, even into battle. I cant find a specific quote right now (at work) but the Irish Guards certainly started out Operation Market Garden riding on their tanks and went into combat on them, several being killed in the process.

Now here's the problem, there's a difference between riding on tanks against known enemy positions and actually riding on a tank during an operation and getting ambushed.