GeForce and Anisotropic Filtering in CM

From what little I know about anisotropic filtering, I'd assume that it could be applied to CM (much like bi-linear and tri-linear filtering). It shouldn't require any code to be present in the game in order to perform (other than using 3D).

Anisotropic filtering is the among the highest quality methods for filtering textures (at the moment). It should make a discernable difference (depending on what you're graphically looking for), especially with all the angles you can view textures at within CM.

Any possibility that you could take CM to the computer shop and actually try it out using this card you are interested in? Sometimes it is entirely in the eye of the beholder as to whether or not what the new card displays is more enjoyable to you. CM may not be the program to look at it with, the technology may be better suited to other games. So no I don't have an answer either, but I tend to trust my own eyes and not the opinions of others.

Thanks. I have a Voodoo5 and doubt I'll be upgrading this year; maybe early 2002. Was just letting folks know they might have another option for improving the look of CM, and was wondering how much of a difference it really makes. The GF3 looks like it might have enough juice to run CM well at 1024x768x32 with 4x FSAA or maybe 1280x960x32 with Quincunx and 64-tap Aniso turned on. *Anything* to cut down on the texture shimmer in CM. smile.gif The FSAA on my V5 helps a lot, but it can only do so much.

- Chris

Guest ckoharik

You should be able to run CM at 1600x1200x32 4XFSAA on the GeForce3 no problem. I could tell you, but my new GF3 is sitting at home in AZ while my butt is here in Boston. Oh, the humanity of it all!!! Anyone out there got a GF3 yet and can pass along any impressions?

• 1 year later...

I tried 16-tap anisotropic filtering (using the NVmax freeware tweak program) on a GeForce 2 GTS, and the results were about the same as with 2x2 anti-aliassing enabled. However, the anisotropic mode introduced spurious extra pixels along the movements path etc. lines, and also twinkling pixels at the boundaries of transparant areas. I did not see any noticeable change in frame rate between those two modes, but that was just by looking and scrolling around a wooded map. Visual quality looked about the same too.

The visual anomolies with anisotropic filtering enabled bothered me, so I'm back to 2x2 FSAA.

Interesting. I've run through all the settings (Ti4600) and I can't say I noticed much difference. I run the game at 1024x768.

I wonder what res you guys are running, and what res textures (mods) you're using? I bet that makes quite a bit of difference, actually...

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

Interesting. I've run through all the settings (Ti4600) and I can't say I noticed much difference. I run the game at 1024x768.

I wonder what res you guys are running, and what res textures (mods) you're using? I bet that makes quite a bit of difference, actually...

Anisotropic filtering is a hidden setting for direct3D. You need a program like NVmax or RivaTuner to enable it.

I'm running at 1280x1024 and using mostly my hi-res mods. I didn't realise that some of my recent mods sparkled so much because I had Anisotropic filtering enabled and couldn't see it.

Anisotropic filtering is it the same that antialaising thing.What i found control panel>display>advanded option>Geforce2gts>direct3d>antialiasing>options are there nothing,2x,4x.

I didn´t see a difference between 2x or4x so i did use 2x it´s look like better than anything.4x slow my computer anyway.

Originally posted by spwaw:

Anisotropic filtering is it the same that antialaising thing.What i found control panel>display>advanded option>Geforce2gts>direct3d>antialiasing>options are there nothing,2x,4x.

I didn´t see a difference between 2x or4x so i did use 2x it´s look like better than anything.4x slow my computer anyway.

Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing are not the same thing. You won't see any settings for Anisotropic filtering in the drivers, except for OpenGL. Hopefully they will add it in the future.

I use Anisotropic filter (I have GeForce 2 MX400)from the time I discovered it. It improves the quality of the picture dramatically (see screenshots) without any loss of framerate (maybe just for 1 or two frames per second, but that's practically nothing.

AntiAliasing (AA) improves the quality for the tremendous cost of framerates (AA x2 means practically that you'll have half the framerate comparing with "AA off"). So the owners of old Geforces (including me) should not have AA enabled (unless they are big masochists smile.gif )

Screenshot without Anisotropic Filter:

cm_noaf.jpg

Screenshot WITH Anisotropic Filter:

cm_af.jpg

See the difference in quality? I'll be always using Anisotropic filter ON.

[ July 05, 2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Porajkl ]