Please Help - Closing the pocket

So then I played the scenerio as the Americans thinking I would get my arse Kicked... Thank god for Shermans! LOL

1. I left the setup the way it was except I moved my 60mm teams to the east near the fenced in area... BAD!! I also moved 2 platoons back from the orchard into the buildings...again... BAD!!

2. Started off with a German Bang... ( I mean I wish I knew how to copy to video) Germans lob Smoke rounds.... and spotter rounds...Which I did not see... Very BAD!!

3.The Germans start lobbing 81mm and 105 shells with freaking accuracy from hell... Spotters must have been Knights cross holders. :) Anyways one of the Mortar Squads and assistants took a direct hit... and the Orchard was completely wrecked.

4. My shermans emerge and I immediately send 2 75mm Shermans to assist the Village wich is now gettng overun with Germans.. they have inflicted heavy casualties to the infantry facing the orchard. (German mg42.. maintained complete fire superiority for the next 3 minutes.)

5. My 2 sherman Tanks arrived and immediately opened up with the .30's and the .50 cal and HE rounds....disintegrating infantry... Needless to say the German infantry suffered immensely.. and were in a complete route. I also directed my last remaining 60mm mortar to direct fire...inflicting 23 casualties.

6. Tank battle ensued and the Marder III;s were quickly dipsatched with the assistance of the Eastern 57mm ATG. I eneded up losing 2 M10 TD's for all 4 Marder III's.

7. The Panther Tanks all of a sudden came over the hill and were in quick time to the village (AI most likely thinking since it is on the attack it must still take the objectives)

The Panthers were quickly engaged by the two 76mm Shermans and 2 M10 TD's and the Eastern 57mm Gun. A 3 minute battle ensued and the Panthers took numerous shots. One of my 76mm Shermans was positioned just Northwest of the West bridge near the Victory area. The other Tanks with the exception of the 2 75mm shermns were on the south hill.

The Panthers tried desperately but were being shot at from different angles... A crew from one of the M10's dismounted and ran, another 76mm Sherman got its teeth kicked in but kept on slugging it out... when the dust settled... both Panther crews bailed, one being disabled and finaly brewed up by the 57mm ATG at about 500m

End of story.. SHermans advance and take out remaing remenants...

DAMN GOOD... The AI wether playing defense or offence really does a good job of fire and manuever, concealing its movements and using direct fire vs hardend area, or areas of resistance. Tank on tank anyone who says they are too accurate... not the case. One of the Panthers I have to admit was backing up when it knocked out one of my M10's.

Great job.. that battle was probably the most intense I had played in some time.

Playing through these the first time can be difficult, but I think I did manage to squeeze out minor victories from each side.

Since then I have replayed as the Germans and it was much easier. I moved all troops off the hills to safety in the rear. I left HQs on the ridge as spotters. I led off with a linear arty bombardment on the the buildings and the cemetery to take out the mortars and try to get the HQs and the half track. I targeted the hedges with my mortars. After the initial artillery strike was complete I targeted the group of buildings on the right side of town where I knew a number of troops were. By then I had spotted the 57mm on my left and took it out with mortars.

When the Panthers arrived I moved them up the left side of the ridge and gave them hull down positions with LOS to the town. The tacAI took out visible targets and then I targeted a few of the buildings until the Shermans arrived. The Panthers quickly took out three of the Shermans as the rest moved into the town. They then took out two of the M10s as they arrived. After that I waited for a while to see what developed. I plinked away at suspected targets in the town until the remaining M10s showed themselves and were destroyed. I did use the Marders to fire into the town once all of the Shermans and M10s were taken out.

There was one more Sherman hiding behind the town so I moved the Panthers over to the right. I hunted them forward until the other 57mm started firing. I area fired at it with the Panthers until they spotted it and took it out. Then I inched the Panthers forward looking for the Sherman. Once I took it out I moved one Panther to the right objective and had a clear view down the street into the town. The Panther took out the HT and the infantry that were cowering behind the buildings. The other Panther took out infantry that were behind the church. At that point the game ended with a major victory. The only casualty I suffered was a member of one of the Panther crews who was hit by an M10. I never touched any of my infantry. I was very lucky that neither of my Panthers had their guns damaged or it wouldn't have been so easy.