AI spotting ability?

Mortars.jpg

I came across a curious phenomenon. Playing Breaking the Bocage on Veteran, I hid my Co HQ in the middle of the wooded lot. I thought they would be safe, clear from any possible line of sight. Apparenly I was wrong, as the AI dropped mortars directly on their position. My question is, is the wooded lot some sort of preplanned target for the AI, or is the AI cheating by targeting hidden troops?

I also suffered mortar attacks against a pair of my own mortars, who were hidden behind a big hedgerow. There is no possible way the AI could have spotted them.

The AI can fire at suspicious places (helped by a hint from the scenario designer), as you may do.

I understand that. What I am saying is that there was no possible way the AI had a line of sight to the marked location, thus they wouldn't be able to call in a fire mission on that location unless it was a preplanned strike. Which is the question I asked in the previous post.

Was it a preplanned strike, or an AI spotting bug?

Considering that the mortars landed directly on my troops position, and nowhere else, I think it's the latter. 5 rounds were fired, with 3 hits causing 4 casualties, in the middle of dense woods surrounded on all sides by tall hedgrows. I'm talking freakishly laser accurate mortar fire here.

There are also TRPs. They give a large area of ground that's considered in LOS to any spotter, even one at the back of the map surrounded by high walls :) It may be that you set your mortars up somewhere the AI (or the designer? I haven't studied how AI plans are set up) decided would be a good place for mortars. You might've just gotten unlucky and parked where the German preplanned bombardment was zeroed.

Do you (the player) see incoming rounds that your pixeltruppen don't see, in Veteran mode?