Impassable bushes?

Bocage is impassable in the game. Mmm okay. I've been to Normandy. In reality, it is impassable or almost impassable in places, but not in others.

However, there are also low English style hedgerow bushes, and I can't get infantry across them. This ain't bocage as shown. It looks 3 feet high, with no earthern berm. Why won't infantry cross this obstacle? They need to.

In the below photo, the squad ordered to cross the bush row is instead walking aroud to the fence gate. C'mon man. The guy on the far right looks like he could fall over the obstacle.

hedge2.jpg

Even though this game is by miles better in 'what you see is what you get' I believe there is still a certain bit of abstraction that goes into the game. Just because it looks like your guys can hurdle it (and I agree in that pic most people could probably clear it in a flying leap) doesn't mean they can in game. I mean the water in the game looks drinkable but I don't see any of my virtual soldiers topping of canteens either :)

There are 'hedges' in the game that as just as easy to get through as you'd imagine they'd be. 'Low bocage' is meant to be a version of the standard impenetrable bocage but a vehicle is able to fire-spot over. Its really not all that easy to get through a 5+ foot tall thicket of saplings grown specifically for fencing.

I think this is a matter of the graphics making it look more passable than it is in reality.

In army training you see lots of people jumping over obstacles but if there is a guy with a machine gun or something unknown on the otherside you probably aren't going to do it.

Forcing through the lighter versions would be do-able but doing it inconspicuously and quickly wouldn't really be possible.