First Dumb Question

Hi people, just got the demo and gave it a go playing the "Closing the Pocket" Scenario.

Now, first off, I'm a longtime CMx1 player, but I have not played CMSF.

I have to say upfront that I think it all looks great and plays even better.

Ok, the dumb question. The new system allows you to do multiple orders on waypoints, which is excellent, but ...

How can I tell if I've given an order or not ?

Eg. In CMAK or CMBB, if you told a unit to Move somewhere then Hide, the movement line said "Move and Hide" - if you hit H again, the "and Hide" disappeared, so it was pretty clear.

But now, I can't see any way to determine if I've told a unit to "Move" to a Waypoint and "Deploy" or "Hide" or not ? Probably not a major problem for the Realtime guys, but in WeGo, it could be a wasted minute to find that you hadn't told them to deploy their heavy weapon or that your ambushing squad are sitting with their heads up like meerkats...

I know, it's probably totally obvious to everyone, feel free to castigate me for my blind stupidity while telling me the answer.

Thanks

I think small things like this is what made CMx1 so easy to use.

The spartanic approach of CM:SF and, to some extent, CM:BN make it a whole lot harder for me to use properly as there's constantly some info lacking. IMO sometimes less isn't more.

Hi people, just got the demo and gave it a go playing the "Closing the Pocket" Scenario.

Ok, the dumb question. The new system allows you to do multiple orders on waypoints, which is excellent, but ...

Eg. In CMAK or CMBB, if you told a unit to Move somewhere then Hide, the movement line said "Move and Hide" - if you hit H again, the "and Hide" disappeared, so it was pretty clear.

But now, I can't see any way to determine if I've told a unit to "Move" to a Waypoint and "Deploy" or "Hide" or not ? Probably not a major problem for the Realtime guys, but in WeGo, it could be a wasted minute to find that you hadn't told them to deploy their heavy weapon or that your ambushing squad are sitting with their heads up like meerkats...

I know, it's probably totally obvious to everyone, feel free to castigate me for my blind stupidity while telling me the answer.

Thanks

The type of movement is show by the colour of the line.

Target, facing, or covered arc is shown by its own symbol on the waypoint.

Hide status, or vehicle open up, can be seen on the button in the orders panel, whether it is depressed or not. You might have to select the correct panel, but if it was your last order, the right one is selected.

Thanks

Orders that can be assigned to an intermediate waypoint generally have a visual indicator associated with them (target, target arc, etc.), but a few orders become active on the unit the moment they are associated with a waypoint. So if you attach a "hide" or "deploy weapon" order to the last waypoint of move, you will see the "hide" or "deploy weapon" buttons under the special tab become active the moment you assign the order. You then know they will perform these actions when they reach the end of the move.

These handy little UI cues are the sorts of things that probably fell way down the list in the CMSF days when there was soo much else to worry about. But indeed they are the things that make it relatively intuitive to pick up a game like this.

HIDE and DEPLOY are set as toggles IIRC, so as stated above if the button has a "pressed" frame aroudn it, the unit will hide at terminal waypoint. I am sure they can also hide at intermediate waypoints, then Pause (which IS shown in text at the waypoint) then move on. Stringing orders together in WEGO is both more powerful and complex than in CMx1 but it takes a little bit of learning.

Ah, I see now, the green letter greys out and a tiny frame appears on the left and top of the button.

Thanks all.

Perhaps the button can be modded to change colour to a hash overlay or or something to make it a tad more obvious at a glance, but I daresay one gets used to it.

Cheers

At the moment, learning the differences between CMx1 and 2 is the key ( I give "Hunt" orders only to discover that it's actually the equivalent of the CMx1 "Move to Contact" and I really want "Quick" ). Getting a lot of guys killed, lucky it's only pixeltruppen.

And I'm well aware that this has probably been answered in the CMSF forums, but my search-fu is not all it could be.

The question is : How do you line up infantry action points ?

ie. I "Quick" the squad to a forest and want to line them up with the edge ... but the two highlighted action points they're going to occupy are offset - one on the edge, the other deeper in.

So how do you get them both lined up ? In this example I ran them deeper then "returned" to the edge and was given a lined up option, but this isn't always feasible

eg. in Closing the Gap scenario, I had a squad run to the bridge on the right. At that moment, the Shermans appeared and started giving them what-for.

So I ran them into the ditch ... except try-as-I-might, I could only get one of the action points to be "in the ditch", the other remained up in the woods and Los of the enemy. Running them up the other side lined up the points, but ... ahem ... not really a useful solution while under fire.

I'm sure there's a blindingly obvious way to do this, so roll-up, roll-up, be the first to point at me and laugh while explaining it :)

Thanks