Makeup of a small force

Am about 3 games into CMBB/CMAK and started a PBEM game where I had to purchase a ~500 point force. I didn't even know you could buy your own force, so I didn't choose very well.

My questions (for a meeting engagement) are:

- any generic recommendations (do's and don'ts) for the makeup of this small force

- any recommendations on how to use this force

Thanks!

I'll answer the original question.

The core of a 500 point force should usually be a single infantry company.

Then you want to support it with a single solid medium tank, assuming your armor point budget allows.

Spend the rest on the "support" screen. You especially want infantry heavy weapons like machineguns and mortars, to supplement those that might come with your infantry company. Infantry anti tank teams can also be useful.

When you select the force this way, you will have your bases covered in a combined arms sense, meaning you have something to deal with enemy tanks (your own, and infantry AT), enemy guns (your mortars), and enemy infantry (your own, and your tank). And everything will be able to move, enough to fight the enemy where he is regardless of initial terrain or sighting issues.

If instead you take lots of guns, you can have problems seeing the target or maneuvering the guns into a position that can do so. If you spend lots of off board artillery, your power will fall dramatically once that ammo is expended. If you take all infantry you might get stopped by even light armor, and if you overconcentrate on tanks (usually the point limits won't let you anyway, but possible if e.g. you have an armor force type) then you can lose most of your force to just a few enemy shots, and can also have trouble in heavy terrain.

An infantry company with tank support is the usual building block of CM maneuver anyway. Bigger fights generally just involve using more than one of them, and especially using armor in full platoon formations rather than singles.

I hope this helps.