looking for a cover arc mod?

That's a really good idea. I agree that all that yellow can hide stuff I want to look at.

Yeah, that's another thing I can't see the gound or action spot highlight too well.

Just that after reading the Normandy AAR threads I've started using Arcs much more.

The odd thing is that after CM1 I used covered arcs all the time in CMSF... until I played RELIEF OF JOKER 3 where I found the covered arcs were a danger to my own units as the enemy could come from any direction.

I learned - at least in the urban setting of JOKER 3 - that it appears to be better not to use covered arcs but instead the FACE command at the end of movement.

Am thinking that my policy now is to only use covered arcs in open terrain where your flanks and rear are secure so you want all attention in a certain direction.

Yeah for sure, I use face command much more often. There a risk close in especially when moving. I have been using it more though and even more often with guys like XO or sniper to really focus on an area. Vehicles too. He he last time 7 tanks turned up and 4 of them were just out of the M1's arc. Lucky it was night and it was stationary for the minute so I got the drop on them next turn.

I think that I read that there's way to give a 360 arc.

IIRC it's SHIFT+ ARC ORDER.

In effect, I think that a unit with no arc behaves as if it has a 360 degree "arc" automatically but at max range.

It appears that a covered arc is 50% of the time useful simply to stop a unit from firing when it sees the enemy. So, for recon etc.

Other times it's only useful if you want a turret to be facing a particular direction when the vehicle moves.

Bump to some mods for action spots and arcs. I too find the action spots hard to see sometimes, and the arcs are too obnoxuiosly overpowering and would like to see them tones down.

Bump also to the return of quick 180 degree arc that you extended in depth via the Ctrl key (I think) ala Cmx1.

Sorry guys, I raised the issue with the ghastly yellow arcs a year or two ago, and got the answer that it is hard coded in, and thus not possible to mod.

Yeah, you gotta be careful with arcs, because if a threat pops up outside the arc, your unit may not shoot at it, even if they should.

It's one of the odd "improvements" over CM1. In CM1 units would shoot at units outside of the arc if they deemed them to be a threat. Worked fine for me. But, someone musta complained... probably done for the milpro crowd to make it more "realistic".