Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The Next CM

Random Ramblings of a Refresh Monkey

We are good to go for a few years. The guys at BFC have truly blessed us, and will continue to do so, with our WWII pixeltruppen and all their assorted toys.

After my steel case is full... and the guys at BFC have had their last umbrella drink in their money-counting hammocks on the beach ... where shall we go from there?

I saw a post where Steve has deservedly stated he is 'bout done with WWII. I think we can let them off the hook after 12+ years. ;)

Personally I am thinking it may be time to take it fictional again.

Since CMBO I have had two dreams for your engine(s). They are tiny dreams, but they keep me warm at night.

-------

Combat Mission: Fulda to Biscay...

Late 60's to mid 70's. Soviets vs NATO. One module. The war is too fast to need more. :)

Optional idea ... same war fought with different generations of equipment to make for more Modules. 60's, 70's and 80's.

------------

Combat Mission: Red vs Blue

Completely break the paradigm. Red is soviet-style.. quantity over quality. Blue is NATO-style. circa 1950.

Add a set-up interface that allows a player to design and save his units.

Example... A tank. Each facet has thickness and slope. 5mm thinkness and 1 degree slope adjustments allowed within the set limits for that vehicle type. 5mm Gun Bore adjustments and 1 unit L/ adjustment within limits. Track width and Engine size adjustable within limits as well.

These variables would set the price and stats for that unit once saved. Lots of armor means high ground pressure and low speed. Big Bore means low ammo. Lots of high-end options would boost rarity even farther in a synergistic anti-gamey way. Etc. You want to design a Sturmmie? Fine, but be ready to pay for it.

Would you want your APCs to be tracked or wheeled? Six riders or eight? Small cannon/grenade launcher combo or larger cannon?

Artillery adjustable in 5mm Bore sizes and three flavors... mortar, howitzer and artillery.

You get the idea. You design each unit type for the whole army, and purchase what you need for each battle from the pool.

Right at the quasi-historical point of platoon level radios, but no uber-weapons systems.

------

optional idea...

Once the total force is designed and saved it is posted to BFC database for possible opponent perusal.

This allows folks to have an idea of what they may be facing, if not exactly what or in what numbers.

------

Great idea Elmar!

X-Com and BFC - now there's a match made in heaven. Assuming they have the passion for the former game that I have, of course, which I have no way of knowing if they do or not. It is a fascinating "what-if" now that you mention it, and one that would really get my juices flowing. Hell, I'd pay a hundred bucks for a copy, easy, if they ever made something like that.