Issue with reinstalling

OK so here is my situation: two weeks ago my hard drive had to be replaced. I contacted BFC wanting to reset my licenses for the various games. I was informed very quickly that I did not need this as my second license was still good (BFC was very good about getting back to me on this). So I took the disks and began installing the game again. I installed CMSF then Marines then the British. I then updated to 1.21 and then installed NATO. The next step would have been to install 1.31 but when I did that I got an error saying I couldnt install the patch. After several attempts I ignored it and finished the install. I would then go to play SF and the NATO module would not appear. I then reinstalled NATO and tried to play it with out 1.31 patch. The scenarios showed up but when I went to the QB page this is what came up:

CMShockForce2011-04-2923-56-48-22.jpg

CMShockForce2011-04-2923-56-51-59.jpg

CMShockForce2011-04-2923-57-01-59.jpg

CMShockForce2011-04-2923-57-03-95.jpg

Im working with vista, I did not have any issues when I had downloaded the game before the harddrive issue. Im at a loss as to what might be the problem.

Steve-o

Alright, so I reinstalled the games (all 4). All four were playible. I then installed 1.31 and suddenly I was unable to play the NATO module. The icon at the bottom of the start screen was not there and the scenarios in the Battle screen were greyed out and not selectable.....so I'm not sure what to do at this point....any suggestions??

Steve-o

• 1 month later...

OK so I have been busy and haven't followed up on this. I followed the instructions at the knowledgebase site and still I am having the issue of NATO not showing up. No icon at the bottom left and all the scenarios greyed out. I have tried a few different ways to install it and nothing works.

Anybody have an idea?

Steve

Tried reinstalling again last night and when I added patch 1.31 I get a window that says this:

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Modules\CMSF NATO Module.exe

An error has occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:

Move File failed; code 5

Access is denied

Then it allows me the option of aborting, ignoring, or retrying.

Assuming that you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7, run the patch by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. This should hopefully give you the rights to write and modify files in the '\Program Files' directory. I have no idea why only the 1.31 patch would run into this problem though.

I am running Vista, and I did run as administrator but still had the same result. I think it has to do with the 1.31 patch as the game runs fine as v1.30 but as soon as I install the patch I get the error that I talked about in my last post and NATO no longer appears. Its actually a bit frustrating since when the game worked just fine before I reinstalled it on my new hard drive.

Temporarily disable any security software that you're running and see if that helps. Typically the "Run as administrator" settings should circumvent the "Move File failed; code 5 Access is denied" error.

You may also want to possibly re-download the 1.31 patch. Most of the time if the file is corrupt you should get errors before it can fully execute. These are the file details I have on the 1.31 patch:

Name: 'CMSF_v131_Patch.exe'

Size (NOT 'Size on disk'): 28,442,162 bytes

MD5 checksum: D08503418071416092730417ED0B0931

You can generate the MD5 checksum with a program like Accuhash.

Is your patch file the same size and have the same MD5 checksum I mentioned earlier ?

I don't know if disabling UAC ('Method #4') will help or not with this situation. Again, typically the "Run as administrator" setting should address this. What security software are you running (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, firewall, internet security) ?

Please uninstall the Webroot security software. We've seen problems with that software before. I don't know why an issue would only show up with the 1.31 patch, but previous users had to uninstall that program to get eLicense to work.

I haven't experimented with that particular security software and I don't know if it has some method that can effectively 'except/trust' programs. Some security programs do and others do not (they can continue to interfere with applications listed as 'trusted'). Our past experience with Webroot has been negative and I don't know if any updates to the program have changed this behavior or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Schrullenhaft

A big thank you to you sir. I uninstalled Webroot then reinstalled NATO and the 1.31 patch and it seems to be working correctly now. Not sure exactly why Webroot software didnt like the module as all the othere modules seemed to work just fine.

Steve-o