"opium Den" new scenario playtesters needed

Ok, in case e-mail is wanky, here it is again:

So here are initial comments re my WEGO test.

1) Map much better. But, it still limits one to two/three obvious options. A) Straight thru the crossroads; B) Flank around the right; C) Both. I chose both. Native forces supported by one US platoon via the crossroads (so they’d have Javelin support), and most of the recon, the 2nd platoon and Company guys via the “ford.”

2) Briefing still needs work. It’s just too vague. Take a look at other scenarios by Paper Tiger etc.

3) You give us Fire Support AFV but no arty or air. That just doesn’t “feel right.” We all know that US won’t go anywhere without air and/or arty unless it’s an emergency. The briefing needs to set the scene – like in a movie – to explain why this situation has occurred.

Generally, while I have been careless and in a hurry to get thru the scenario and get you comments (so I have taken unnecessary casualties), up to turn 20 it seems a bit too easy to take the crossroads and reach the ford.

My technique is to hunt forward as many inf units with binoculars as I can and watch. As a result I found many of the ambushers including the BMP and the IED guy and killed em easily with mass AFV fire. The Recoilless on the roof took out a couple BTR's but as I said I was rushing a bit and not being as careful as usual.

The right flank is a bit boring. Suggest one or two snipers/light recon enemy in the eastern forests b4 one reaches the ford.

So far, I think this could be a really superior scenario, but needs a bit more work.

Have taken crossroads. and am about to start N to main objective. A few native troop casualties, but maybe only one US. (It took me a while to realize there were mines heh.)

Will send another report when have completed the last 20 mins.

Best… Tony

So I just ended the game at 3 mins overtime.

You have nice ambushes and minefields etc. But, I felt rushed thru the whole thing and had lots of casualties thru being careless as I felt there was no way I could be careful as normal in the time constraints.

To be fair the game went 3 mins+ overtime, when I hit QUIT. But, the briefing should tell one that one has extra time.

I did feel that given the scale of the opposition it is just weird not to have mortars and chopper support at least. Why have a fire support vehicle???

I get the feeling that this scenario was for RT players, as in WEGO, one could lose a lot to mines or "impossible to spot" ambushes in one minute. So maybe another user warning?

But, if one had another 10-15 mins, I think it would work better.

Hope you can do more work on this. Thanks for the chance to test.

If the game goes +12 minutes that may be just enuff time. I voluntarily quit at +3 mins.

But, as many have noted if you are playing to minimize casualties rather than ("simply") capture the objective, one really needs more time (in many scenarios).

But, as many have noted if you are playing to minimize casualties rather than ("simply") capture the objective, one really needs more time (in many scenarios).

I agree with this, the CMx2 engine provides us with better flexability to withdraw from a fight without losing the whole unit. Thus you can attack or defend somewhere else. It is especially nice with defend, withdraw X meters, defend, etc.. (which should be awesome in CM:BN)... In CMx1 you couldn't do such things and designers tended to have shortened the duration of scenarios, which forced unrealistic carnage and fighting. Designers using the CMx2 engine should ensure there is enough (even more than enough) time to perform the objective at hand. Don't forget that thresholds for casualties, etc could be the main victory points within a scenario... Just some thoughts... This battle Opium Den should probably get 15 minutes added on to the initial time with a variable of another 15 minutes for extension... IMHO... The desgner has done a really good job with this sceanrio and I am looking forward to the final release ;)