How is the AI

Hi guys,

I am curious as to what difficulty level does to this game. In the past I have found that increasing difficulty in a game (another vendor) just makes the AI kill more of me. Example a game on normal I shoot and the AI lost 25 men. AI shoots I lost 25 men. Harder setting with exact same conditions; I shoot AI lost 25 men; AI shoots I lost 200 men! I want an AI that gets smarter not more deadly. Will this game do that?

CM doesn't change the AI "health" or "damage" of units, only the situations in which you are placed (the missions). The AI doesn't get smarter as far as I know, again, the difficulty is all due to the mission you pick (the difficulty level factors in a tiny bit too).

Yeah, and in the quality of the units you face...."green", "normal", "veteran", "elite" and "crack"...of which you usually get a mix (in random "Quick Battle" mode, anyway). At least that's how it's been in past games.

In Combat Mission, difficulty levels change the way that fog of war works. It doesn't change the AI, or whether the AI kills 200 of your men for every 25 you kill.

Essentially it just adds to the difficulty and realism of you doing your job as commander. At the most basic level of difficulty you can see all of your forces, and all enemy forces that your units are currently seeing, and you get a fair amount of information about the enemy your units have seen.

At the hardest level you can only see the units your currently selected unit can see. You can change the selected unit at will, but your situational awareness is fundamentally reduced. You have much less information to work with, and much less of a God's eye view. Not only spotted units but *potentially* spotted units (i.e. uncertain contacts) spring up. It's a much harder game.

Edit: To answer your original question more fully, higher difficulty makes YOU play smarter to win. It doesn't change deadliness. The hardware and AI are the same. In terms of the AI itself, that comes down to the scenario designers, and I think that several years of experience with building AI for Combat Mission scenarios have made the crop of missions for CM:BN quite excellent in that respect.

It all depends on how good the scenario design was...as CMSF went on and people got used to the ME and how the game worked etc etc the standard in scenarios went sky high...down to clever scripting and placement etc etc...

I've had some fanatstic battles with the Brits in CMSF against the AI that felt as if I was playing against someone...it was very clever and well designed scenario...

So a great scenario the AI is superb a poorly made one then not so good..

Agree the AI is as good as the scenarios designer. There are some very challenging missions for CMSF , im sure CMBN will be even better.

I will probably get into 2 player (play by email) battles at some point , struggle to find the time at the moment and i find some of the rules human players seem to add for realism to CMAK at bit frustrating (im sure there are good reason i.e regarding realism etc) but for a novice like me its too daunting.