American Forces in Action: St. Lo (US War Dept records)

Thought this would make another handy reference for map/scenario design, or just general interest reading (it's pretty great reading)

American Forces in Action: St. Lo (July 7-July19)

It only covers those twelve days but there's plenty of action from various XIX Corps units in the days just prior to the launch of Operation Cobra.

(side note: this includes the area from my "archeology around Hill 108" thread)

Some very in-depth "AAR"s, nice maps (I've already spent way too much time plotting some of the locales in Google Earth), and a number of nice photos.

I have to say: the announcement of CM:BN has prompted me to increase my knowledge of the campaign in Normandy by about ten-fold :)

Excellent resource. With some of the best photographs of the terrain I have seen. Some seem to have been taken in the late autumn as there is a distinct lack of leaves which may have made even more difficult for sightlines.

I am slightly peeved that even knowing of the Hyperwar series I have failed to raid it for bocage pictures. : [

Excellent resource. With some of the best photographs of the terrain I have seen. Some seem to have been taken in the late autumn as there is a distinct lack of leaves which may have made even more difficult for sightlines.

[

More likely the loss of leaves is from intense artillery barrages. Photo titled "AFTER THE COUNTERATTACK" after page 29 seems to suggest this. Besides, the fighting was over before any cold weather cold have come to this area. It was still dead of summer when allies captured St. Lo.

This has the look of a winter scene

USA-A-StLo-p27.jpg

No obvious damgae other than one tall tree which possibly could be a lightning strike. There appears to be some evergreen ivy on a couple of trees.The hedgerows do not loook particularly verdant and the landscape looks tidy.

Foreword 21st August 1946. And rarely do photographers in a combat zone take photos for the record - just plain countryside. Action shots sure , important views sure but boring views not so much.