Casualty question

How Omar Bradley was able to overcome this debacle (Hurtgeon Forest) plus the tactical surprise of the Battle of the Bulge and still become Army CoS is a bit of a mystery. Yes thats been the topic of discussion on a few historical forums. History is subjectively kind to Omar Bradley.

Its what sources you choose to believe. Its controversial, and this isn't the right place to debate it, so I'll leave it to an open mind. Its not alternate history, its subjective vs objective interpretations of history.

True enough but what else do we have to do until CMBN is out except rewatch the vid over and over and..? I feel like a kid who just got the latest Disney vid from my parents to shut me up.

Heck I even stuck my neck out there on the Monty issue even knowing all my sources (and probably all sources out there) are biased one way or the other and usually second hand at best. What can I say, my boredom got the upper hand.

As to Huertgen I might have tried to defend it just to spark a thread, but that dog just don't hunt. As to the Bulge, well the offensive itself kind of proved the point of why it achieved surprise. It was a phenomenally bad idea. The Germans were able to keep it hidden from Ultra sources which probably also had a good part to do with it. SHAEF had a treasure trove and it is fairly human to expect when your source is that good and it shows nothing to disbelieve other sources. Look how long it took for them to release that the battle of Mons was initiated from a Ultra data.

It is common knowledge you may agree Bradley had his 1st and 9th placed under Montgomery's command when the Bulge occurred. Officially recorded for logistical reasons.

It is also commonly known that the primary reason for that is that the teletype cable from 12th. AG HQ to those two northern armies was cut by the Germans at an early stage of the fighting. It thus made more sense that they be commanded from 21st. AG HQ. If you have documentary proof otherwise, pray present it to us.

Michael

Mons

http://www.tanksintown.be/En/Principale_EN.html

To commemorate the liberation of the city in 1944 by the 83rd Reconnaissance Battalion of the 3rd U.S. Armored Division "SPEARHEAD", TANKS IN TOWN organizes each year a tremendous concentration of armored vehicles :

SHERMANS, CHAFFEES, PERSHINGS, TANK DESTROYERS, HALF TRACKS, ARMORED CARS, but also JEEPS, TRUCKS and many others will peacefully invade the historic center of the city of Mons.

It is also commonly known that the primary reason for that is that the teletype cable from 12th. AG HQ to those two northern armies was cut by the Germans at an early stage of the fighting. It thus made more sense that they be commanded from 21st. AG HQ. If you have documentary proof otherwise, pray present it to us.

Michael

All patronizing aside, cutting of the lateral trunk lines is an indisputable fact as you stated. The Signal Corps would however succeed in maintaining a minimum service, even after the wire was cut by re-establishing communication nodes west of where they were abandoned. But 12th AG HQ was way out of position to begin with. General Bradley did not have a satisfactory personal presence. Monty managed to show up on Hodges door step each morning after taking command. Whereas Bradley would talk by wire or motorcade from Paris. As an AG commander he was caught flat footed.

Mons

http://www.tanksintown.be/En/Principale_EN.html

To commemorate the liberation of the city in 1944 by the 83rd Reconnaissance Battalion of the 3rd U.S. Armored Division "SPEARHEAD", TANKS IN TOWN organizes each year a tremendous concentration of armored vehicles :

SHERMANS, CHAFFEES, PERSHINGS, TANK DESTROYERS, HALF TRACKS, ARMORED CARS, but also JEEPS, TRUCKS and many others will peacefully invade the historic center of the city of Mons.

So what has all that to do with a battle in WW II or Ultra? Didn't the Allies enter the town after the Germans had already evacuated it?

Michael

So what has all that to do with a battle in WW II or Ultra? Didn't the Allies enter the town after the Germans had already evacuated it?

Michael

SNAP ! I was just about to ask the same thing. Cool that they still celebrate the liberation but I am having trouble with the Ultra link but I would be keen to find out more.