IRON<STEEL difficulty mode (ala hardcore)

While that certainly works for first and third person shooters I can see it being a massive limitation to a tactics game, with a lot of units spread out it could be quite difficult and confusing. Maybe for platoon vs platoon size engagements on small maps but for anything else it would be horrendously tedious.

I feel like if you want to simulate the effects of being on the ground you should simulate being on the ground, but CM is a company + sized tactical war game which severely limits the "being on the ground" aspect since you're not on/I] the ground, and if you did simulate that then you may as well be in a radio room, and then you're a radio operator staring at a map.

Some abstraction is necessary, in CM I think of myself more as a force gently nudging my troops in the right direction rather than a physical commander, I mean there's that too but I just don't think this suggestion works. Why stop there, why not limit the view to your single command team? Somewhere you have to draw the line.

would float my boat, tie view to unit please....make it not an honor system like now...enforce it.

the absolute non programmer in me cant see it as being that hard to implement

VBS2/ARMA2 has this if you're in to the commander style game.

Sit in your Bradley and look at a map and order the platoons around (or dare a personal peak or the occasional visit to the frontline).

Though the AI subordinates are kinda stupid and the damage modeling of armored vehicles is a joke compared to CMSF (even for VBS2) it can be great fun and the graphics are just awesome even by todays standards.

I've played CM from a top-down view at times (zooming out as far as the camera allows). This makes for a decent map simulation at least (but then you miss all the good stuff).