Crashes and general instability during larger saves (NATO campaign)

I've got a bit of a problem here. I've noticed that when playing the larger scenarios whether part of the campaign or not my saves will cause the game to crash, (by hanging, white screen, or by throwing me to the desktop). So far I have tried Bier and Biezel (spelling?) and Hope Version 2 as part of the Canadian campaign. So far I have managed to get around it (to a degree but its a big fudge) by saving the scenario, waiting for a while, switching to the desktop and waiting for the 'this game has stopped responding' box to appear. I click wait for the game to respond and switch back and forth several times. I can then normally continue my game. But I have to do this EVERY time I save and it's desperately annoying. Strangely, the smaller scenarios are working fine.

I'm using a new ATI 6950 with the latest 11.3 cats. I had the same problem with the 11.2 cats. I'm also using a Logitech Performance MX mouse which is brilliant but I've had a bit of an issue with button sensitivity which is only happening in game. I click once on a unit and two or three units might be highlighted. So that's a bit weird as well! But it's only apparent in CMSF. I'm also wondering if the settings for the game are best optimized with this card - I've tried changing a few things to no avail. I'll keep trying!

I'm running Win 7 Pro with 8gb ram so memory isn't an issue.

I should just add this is the error message :-

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: CM Shock Force.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4ced00e3

Hang Signature: 041a

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Hang Signature 1: 041aedf8948f347dfae49b2a958b20e3

Additional Hang Signature 2: ab4c

Additional Hang Signature 3: ab4c71db9297e57dab857d993bea8c40

Additional Hang Signature 4: 041a

Additional Hang Signature 5: 041aedf8948f347dfae49b2a958b20e3

Additional Hang Signature 6: ab4c

Additional Hang Signature 7: ab4c71db9297e57dab857d993bea8c40

Hi Phil, if you see my post, it's pretty much same problem. Seems like we may have discovered a bug. I've switched over to the Dutch Campaign since the Canadian (and German with the 'fausts!) has been stymied. I was told to post the save file for evaluation. Hopefully that will last until Normandy!

Hi Phil, if you see my post, it's pretty much same problem. Seems like we may have discovered a bug. I've switched over to the Dutch Campaign since the Canadian (and German with the 'fausts!) has been stymied. I was told to post the save file for evaluation. Hopefully that will last until Normandy!

Hi mate, yes I did see your post first. I thought they were similar problems but I wanted to create a separate thread just so the powers that be are aware of a potential bug. I can't really understand it - this is a new pc that is perfectly stable (nothing overclocked etc) - the only issue might be the fact I am using an ATI card. I don't know. I've tried changing some settings in the game menu and it may have temporarily helped, but we could do with a walkthrough of which settings to use with which card for example. The 'Left-click' thing for example with the ATI cards is important, but some other things may not be.

It's a shame BFC haven't released a hot-fix for the 'fausts problem! (hint hint) then I would happily play the German campaign. In fact, I have stayed away from the German single missions mostly because of this (or played as red) :(

I'm with you, it may be the ATI card, by the 5 series as I just installed one up from a 4 series. I tried reloading all the drivers, but it didn't help. I think I might be able to pull off the Canadian campaign if I could figure out what exactly is causing the bug but there's so many variables I'm tired of saving and reloading. Best I could figure is that it's somehow linked to my tanks crossing a trenchline and ATGM's firing as everything else works fine when this is not happening. I guess for a real challenge I could try to win the scenario soley with artillery and infantry!

I was visiting friends a couple years back near Edinburgh. Enjoyed the golf and scotch. I should have stopped by for a little hotseat CMSF and scotch!

I'm with you, it may be the ATI card, by the 5 series as I just installed one up from a 4 series. I tried reloading all the drivers, but it didn't help. I think I might be able to pull off the Canadian campaign if I could figure out what exactly is causing the bug but there's so many variables I'm tired of saving and reloading. Best I could figure is that it's somehow linked to my tanks crossing a trenchline and ATGM's firing as everything else works fine when this is not happening. I guess for a real challenge I could try to win the scenario soley with artillery and infantry!

I was visiting friends a couple years back near Edinburgh. Enjoyed the golf and scotch. I should have stopped by for a little hotseat CMSF and scotch!

Because it's only effecting the larger scenarios with me I think it must be something to do with the texture mapping, or the way the game handles the texture memory - it's acting like a memory leak which I have seen before with games like the Total War series. I've got 2gb of ram on this 6950 so the card isn't the problem per se, neither is the physical ram in my machine. I've tried turning the details down etc and I can't say it has helped. One thing though, I changed the V-Sync setting and something else from quality to fast (can't remember what it is off hand) and I have since been able to save the game, although for how long is anyone's guess. So maybe it is the way the game is interfacing with the system. I'm no programmer however although I build/repair and develop systems, I'm just using some logic here. I must say I do prefer the way the game looks and plays with an Nvidia card - there's just something nicer about it. It runs smoother, and looks 'crisper'. I wish I had opted for a Nvidia before I bought this! Doh!

Man, I'm just proud I installed a card all by myself and got it to work, so I'm definately no expert! I dropped every switch down to Fastest, turned off smoke and the game still crashed. Even tried two thumb drives to boost memory, no luck. Darn, wish I'd known that about Nvidia too since the last card fried and it was a perfect time for a switch.

I'll talk to you in September so we can talk smack about the world cup, go Springboks!