Great quality film clips from the Eastern Front with some of Normandy, a must see !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezeBFL8aqag

I just watched this on YouTube and im stunned, i thought i'd seen every film clip going about WW2 but this compilation is just outstanding !!!

Good footage, thanks. If you only know the official scenes, then i can tell you, you have seen nothing yet.

From what i have seen, the good films obviously have been locked away (or maybe destroyed) and only the worse ones have been made public.

This clip contains some not so bad clips, where the viewer can get a slight impression of the fighting and how the german soldier behaved in action (i have seen the Leibstandarte in Kursk in a 20 minute color footage in a private presentation and i can't describe that in words). There even exist long color movies from the first days of Barbarossa, where the Soviet airfields full with planes go bust, or color movies from STUKA-pilots in action (face and unconciousness), or the desperate attacks against alliied bomber-squads and lots of combat action, where you can see NCOs' and officers' faces seconds before leading the attack.

Pretty good clips. The most interesting, IMO, is at the 5 minute mark when it appears a column of (light?) armor comes under attack forcing the armored cars scurrying into the ditches to get off the road. I've seen that clip before, but I would love to see it in complete.

As I get older, it gets harder for me to watch footage. It's impossible to not look at a guy and wonder if he made it home. Or to watch a squad and wonder how many survived. Most probably did not. It's the utter enormity of the amount of people that were fed into that inferno that gets me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezeBFL8aqag

I just watched this on YouTube and im stunned, i thought i'd seen every film clip going about WW2 but this compilation is just outstanding !!!

I like how the German soldier at 0:18s in doesn't even flinch when they fire off the demolitions.

Most soldiers today tend to at least twitch a little as there seems to be at least some 500kg going up.

I like how the German soldier at 0:18s in doesn't even flinch when they fire off the demolitions.

Most soldiers today tend to at least twitch a little as there seems to be at least some 500kg going up.

Ditto. A fair a bit no flinching at different times.

The ground war during WWII was epic in not just deaths, but pure destruction. Imagine the undiagnosed cases of PTSD that resulted, no wonder these guys had nightmares for the rest of their lives. My grandfather was an American sailor in the Pacific, and while he was at numerous great battles, the battles for Saipan and Okinawa always stood out in his mind. Saipan due to the civilians he witnessed throwing them selves off of cliffs, and then looking for survivors after, and Okinawa for the insane kamikazi attacks his DesDiv (Destroyer Division) suffered. His ship was actually clipped by a Ki-61 Tony while of Radar Pickett duty. The wingtip of the fighter hit the main mast, but did only minor damage. What was bad was a man who forever after was known as "Okinawa George", who jumped from the bridge as the aircraft made it's run. The ship slowed to a crawl and turned around to get him, even while under constant Kamikazi attack. They retrieved him, and great risk to the rest of the crew, and earned a Silver Star in the process. This time and place was etched in his mind, during the a battle unique to WWII where the Navy suffered more casualties then the troops on the island, and he didn't shake the after effects for the rest of his life. I can not imagine what haunted the dreams of men who killed to survive in the Hedgerows of Normandy.