What was the relationship between airborne and armoured forces?

Meaning when lets say the 101st assaulted a town and had AFV support, who reported to who? Did the tanks take orders in battle from the airborne Lts? Or did the tanks have free range to do as they wish and just take the airborne officers opinions?

I'm just talking out of my ass here, but I wanted to take a shot and see if I was right.

It may be dependent on who is attached to who. So if the 101st was attacking a town with attached armored support from someone the armor was part of the 101st command and vice versa.

Yup. Depends on status of command arrangements. Typically, I'd expect that it'd be an independant tank battalion that was attached to the division (whether it was the 101st A/B, or some infantry division doesn't matter), which in turn would mean that - normally - the tankies would be taking order from the infantry all the way down to platoon level.

the tankies would be taking order from the infantry all the way down to platoon level.

They might not be obeying them, though. ;) "WHAT'S THAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU FROM THE ENGINE! NO, THE DRIVER CAN'T CEASE REVVING BECAUSE THE BATTERY IS LOW! YOU GO AHEAD, WE'LL FOLLOW YOU..."

somewhat related. every time i've watched the market-garden episode of band of brothers, when the troopers warn the british tanker there's a german tank hiding just up the street behind a building. the tanker refuses to fire at the building which would have revealed the german tank because they were under orders not to cause unnecessary damage. tell me that didn't really happen. tell me he wouldn't risk his tank and the lives of his crew because he wasn't supposed to damage property...

somewhat related. every time i've watched the market-garden episode of band of brothers, when the troopers warn the british tanker there's a german tank hiding just up the street behind a building. the tanker refuses to fire at the building which would have revealed the german tank because they were under orders not to cause unnecessary damage. tell me that didn't really happen. tell me he wouldn't risk his tank and the lives of his crew because he wasn't supposed to damage property...

Don't know if that truly happened but in this case it was not an order and there was no subordination, that was a force (XXX corps-Irish guards?) passing through another force.

Don't know if that truly happened but in this case it was not an order and there was no subordination, that was a force (XXX corps-Irish guards?) passing through another force.

oh i know. that's why i said 'somewhat related'. it's just something that's always bothered me. lol..

British Tankers...

To name a few briliant moments of Britisch Tankers

Villers Bocage

Cagny

Tilly sur Seullis

Hill 112

Eerde

Well lets stop it ;)

British Tankers...

Villers Bocage

Cagny

Tilly sur Seullis

Hill 112

Eerde

Well lets stop it ;)

Yes let's, before we get to the point of realising all of these battle set up the utter destruction of the German Army in Falaise Pocket, wouldn't want reality or truth to get in the way of a good story ;)

British Tankers...

Villers Bocage

Cagny

Tilly sur Seullis

Hill 112

Eerde

Well lets stop it ;)

What's the problem with Hill 112? Didn't the initial attack cause Doll to kill himself? Didn't the 11th Armored pull back because Ultra showed 4 panzer divisions were lining up to counter attack?

What's the problem with Hill 112? Didn't the initial attack cause Doll to kill himself? Didn't the 11th Armored pull back because Ultra showed 4 panzer divisions were lining up to counter attack?

Well I have to agree it was not the Tankers fault at hill 112. After they reached the top of hill 112 they couldn’t hold the hill against the just arived 102 zw pz abt with their Tigers. The only thing that could be discussed about is why they didn’t consolidate in Eterville and Maltot instead on the hill 112 top. But to do that they would have needed more infantry.

Well I have to agree it was not the Tankers fault at hill 112. After they reached the top of hill 112 they couldn’t hold the hill against the just arived 102 zw pz abt with their Tigers. The only thing that could be discussed about is why they didn’t consolidate in Eterville and Maltot instead on the hill 112 top. But to do that they would have needed more infantry.

I guess we will find out more about the dynamics of the fighting around Hill 112 when the Commonwealth module comes out.