Great Tank Battles Series Not So Great

I recorded a bunch of these on the History Channel over the weekend and finished watching the “Normandy” episode.

The episode focuses on the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade that landed on Juno beach on D-Day.

About the only positive I can point to are the interviews with ex-servicemen from both sides who took part and civilians who witnessed the events described.

The negatives are legion.

First the graphics:

- The 3D models are a pathetic bunch. The Mark IV model was particularly inaccurate. CMBO did it better than these folks managed to.

- Same goes for the markings. Panther tanks had big a$$ cross on the front glacis. (??? Please show me ONE picture illustrating this).

- The FX were a disappointment as well as everything explodes when hit and the flames engulf the wreckage.

Content – or lack there-of:

- For a show on tank warfare we get precious little info. on the tanks themselves and how they were actually used in combat (more on this below), or how combat may have differed from training or any of a dozen details that would have added some context to the events depicted.

- The Canadians appear to have deployed their tanks in great big box formations with about 5 yards spacing between tanks. I guess they wanted to get knocked out all the quicker.

- The Germans put theirs in column (to be slaughtered) or line (to do the slaughtering)

- Oh, and Normandy terrain consists of large wide open fields bordered by bocage and the thing to do is to ride up to the bocage and stick your gun thru and hammer at the opposing force that is conveniently driving right up to you.

- All engagements appear to take place within 100 yards

- And the feared German 88’s were often deployed in tool sheds

- And no tank units have infantry support – or support infantry

- Finally, most AP hits result in a big fireball that blows the tank turret sky high (I am guessing that they got this bit from the 73 Easting episode and were thinking that what happens to a T-72 pretty much happens to every tank that gets hit).

And finally, pacing; Why does every commercial break have to begin with a 20 second teaser for the next segment – and even worse – end with a 2+ minute recap of everything we just saw? Why all the padding? The show is only about 44 minutes without the ads and when you take away the padding you have only a 35 minute show.

Summation = epic fail.

And finally, pacing; Why does every commercial break have to begin with a 20 second teaser for the next segment – and even worse – end with a 2+ minute recap of everything we just saw? Why all the padding? The show is only about 44 minutes without the ads and when you take away the padding you have only a 35 minute show.

I have complained about this for awhile now. It seems every show no matter the genre does this.

Coming up ... Next on ... Stick around for ...

Then 5 minutes of inane commercials

Then another freaking recap of the program I have been watching.

This must mean the ADD crowd is now working on all the programs.

Very annoying - Thank God for DVR!

I don't think the French actually manufactured any Panthers did they? I thought it was just that they cobbled together enough bits to equip a regiment or so. They did produce a copy of the main gun tho'

You could be right. I read that a long time ago and it wasn't something I was paying really close attention to. They did use a version of the gun on the AMX-13, which according to Wiki used a shorter barrel and different ammunition. So I don't know in just what ways the guns were alike.

Michael