Open CMSF in a window

That is correct, CMSF (and all CM games) do NOT support a Windowed mode. The games are full screen only.

Though not as convenient, you can "minimize" the game by Alt-Tab'ing to another window. The game will get minimized on the Task Bar (and usually 'paused' at the same time) and you can then do whatever you want in the rest of Windows. When you're done, just click on the program in the Task Bar and it should re-maximize. On occasion however, you may find that the game might lock up when you Alt-Tab out of it and come back in. I'm not sure what the exact cause of that is, but I've seen it myself (usually with 'real time' games).

Yes I do the Alt-Tab thing when I need to drop back to desk top and that works well enough. My main want was to be able to change focus when the games are loading. As they take awhile it is sometimes nice to be able to do something else while you wait.

I find if I Alt-Tab when a load is in progress the game crashes.