Mortar teams have to hoof it?

amps1963

No, you can't load mortars onto a track. Since you can't tow them either, the only way to move them is the MOVE command.

Okay, but why can't they ride in a truck? If they can pick up the tube and carry it, shouldn't they be able to toss it in the truck and ride into battle with everyone else?

I wouldn't call it a blunder, it is a matter of how far you want to go. With each ability there opens up a whole range of other possibilities. How big does the vehicle need to be? How much ammo can it carry ? What if the ammo is in one and the tube in another? what about the mortar in the truck and the crew on foot? etc etc.

With each question arises another round of things that can happen that need to be modelled. I guess the programmers have to draw the line somewhere which is what "it is not implemented means" not sure why a simple direct answer of the facts is unprofessional.

Any utility vehicle from a jeep upwards would service the needs of a mortar team and its first line ammo. If they can walk with their ammo, i sure they would fit in a truck. I may have been harsh with my comment, but it was a blunt answer without explanation, after all even I could figure out it was not implemented.

ok well that is a bit different then.

A jeep would not be sufficient for a mortar team of 4 plus the mortar itself, barrel, baseplate, bipod and sight, plus ammo, and I am talking 3" mortars and up here not the 60mm glorified grenade projector but I do agree that not being able to load on helicopters and larger trucks does seem a fair sort of short coming after all mobility is one of the key aspects of a mortar.

MG's however are an entirely different matter as they can be easily carried in almost anything, even many HMG's.

Not wanting to be pedantic but I must point out that a support weapon that is stowed for transport cannot support the infantry anyway but I get the point you are making.

Being a former US Army Indirect Fire Infantryman, I know that most mortar systems can be transported by almost any wheeled or tracked vehicle the Army has to offer. I spent the most time with 120mm mortar systems mounted on specialized tracked vehicles. At the time that I served, these were the largest infantry operated mortar systems at the battalion or regimental level. Trust me, if our tracked vehicle was disabled, we would easily dismount the entire system (mainly tube, bipod and baseplate) and essentially "throw" it in the back of a Humvee (HMMWV). Any ammo that didn't fit would be redistributed between the other gun tracks and or stored in available space in other transport vehicles. Needless to say, we had a combat effective 120mm mortar system transported by a single Humvee including ammo and 4 infantrymen.

I also know that many 81mm mortar platoons transported their mortar systems and crews in Humvees. Although, some 81' platoons did have to hoof it when traversing through areas only accessible to light infantry.

If a major point of this game is to be as realistic as possible, I too would like to see vehicles with the ability to transport support squads. There were times, in the Army, when my platoon had difficulty keeping up with the pace of battle and we were mechanized by default!

This is a somewhat glaring oversight on behalf of 1C honestly, i mean seriously... my entire support team of HMG and mortar (it's the smallest god damn infantry mortar damn it) had to WALK all the way to the destination? no seriously, do they have something against weapon crews or something and wants to see their digital counterpart carrying their load all the way across the battlefield on foot?

Actually, it's rifle companies' organic 60mm mortars that were the smallest US mortars in Korean War. Though I don't know why they didn't make it into ToW3 (same with Pershing tanks). But you guys are damn right, mortars and HMGs (and M20 75mm RR) should be transportable. Also, I have the feeling they move a bit too slow.

Is this issue falling on deaf ears? Aren't your customers worth some reasonable response? I've stopped playing this game already, sadly i think i have wasted my money.

Unfortunately I fear it may fall on deaf ears. If Battlefront was the developer as well as the publisher I would be more optimistic a fix may be made. 1C's record of supporting their games post release with engine upgrades is to put it kindly. nonexistent. Yes they will put out scenario packs (ie Caen & Centauro), but back fitting engine enhancements are not done. From 1C's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if all development efforts were now focused on TOW4.

If however, 1C does show respect to their customers by addressing these concerns and back fitting some of the engine improvements into Kursk, I will continue to support the series by purchasing TOW3.

I always thought that the most glaring flaw of the entire ToW series was the simple fact we can't go "unbuttoned" with our tanks, so I've never really taken these games as being a serious wargame really. At least, the Combat Mission series allows for this so I'm looking forward to the new game, hopefully soon! :D