Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Super Game - my thoughts + some strategy

Gents - super game...really am enjoying it.

Have played 2 games thus far. Human vs. AI. Settings at Difficulty 0%/Experience +0. FOW on, Production Delay on, Unit Limits on.

First game played Central. Basic strategy (German) was to rush to Brittany, cut off Channel ports, and force UK to land in Brittany and Atlantic ports, which was fairly easy to contain. Eastern front was basically defensive for Germans---all war effort went into Western Front. Then, turn south and take Paris etc... Austria-Hungary focused on pushing into Russia...Ottoman was a rush to Suez and then defensive.

Second game played Entente. Basic strategy was hold the western line, 2 rows of infantry entrenched, then build up arty and roll eastward. Not easy - lots of casualties. Russia held defensively in north front, but very aggresive against Austria-Hungary...pushing throught the mountains one hill after another. Ended up taking Vienna before Berlin. Used lots of UK infantry in mid-east---pushed back Ottoman and drove into Turkey.

Balkans ended up loking like a UN zone...I had Serbian, Montenegrian, French, Italian, and one Portuguese unit all holding the line against Austria in the north and Bulgaria in the east...overall that was a very tough ToW.

Spent lots on diplomacy and ended up getting Portugal and Norway.

Both games ended in 1916 so I never got to see the US enter the war:mad:

Love the game...good AI, excellent game play, super sounds & units & manual.

Looking forward to first patch and of course WWII version.

Next I plan to replay but this time with Difficulty and Experience levels up one level. OR, replay with same settings I just played with but with FOW off.

Lastly - did not spend anything on tanks, zepps, bombers, etc...fairly useless in this game. But, subs & destroyers---depending on what side you are playing, you`d better buy plenty of one or the other. And, a final note, the arty game play is super---I really like how you`ve left it up to the user to fire as many, or as few rounds per turn...

Cheers...:)

Canada1

Lastly - did not spend anything on tanks, zepps, bombers, etc...fairly useless in this game.

I agree that tanks -- at least in the campaign game -- seem not worth the effort. Too much money invested for too little gain. Maybe they play a better role in the smaller (operational-level) scenarios. However I do think the zeppelins and bombers are worth some investment. The zepps are fairly cheap, and also inexpensive to research; at higher levels (3 or better) they can do some decent damage MMP-wise (not sure about the morale effects). And the bombers can be useful for recce missions, particularly on the western front. As for artillery, a well-placed arty (or two) can be a real war-winner once you've gained shell production and heavy artillery.

And I agree with you 100%, this is an awesome game. :)

Dave