CMSF/Normandy and OpenGL

Before CMSF's "flashing" problem was fixed with the 1.31 patch I would have recommended staying with 186.xx to avoid the issue (for those who had video cards that were supported by the driver). But now that that issue has been fixed the latest drivers should be fine with either CMSF or the upcoming CMBN.

I have not benchmarked the different driver versions to see if there is any benefit between one set and a newer one. If you're happy with what you have now, there's no real reason to change it right now. CMBN looks fine using a 186.18 driver right now (under WinXP). The CMx2 engine is only OpenGL 2.x to my knowledge, so it really won't take advantage of any newer OpenGL 3.x extensions/calls at this point offered with the 190+ drivers.

Sometimes you get performance improvements with the drivers, but this is often for new hardware, which hasn't been optimized yet. So the newest driver won't necessarily be the fastest or least buggy. They are a constant "work in progress", offering support for new hardware and fixing some bugs that have appeared at one point or another.