Newbie question on mobilization

Hello all. I'm new to the Strategic Command series and am really enjoying my first encounter in the WW1 game! However, I am struggling to get my head around mobilization and was wondering if a more experienced player could help?

After reading the manual, I understand that mobilization is linked to belligerence and can therefore affect a country's ability to make the most of its MPPs, coupled with the industrial modifier. However, I am not clear how to establish how fully mobilized a particular country is, and whether or not its mobilization is increasing, and by how much? A country's mobilization rating does not seem to be the same as its belligerence rating, but I could be wrong (?)

I am also not 100% clear on what mobilization means in terms of its effects on production beyond the modification of MPPs. In the case of Russia, for instance, I am aware that at the start of the main campaign the country is still mobilizing. But I am not clear what the effects of this will be. For example will new units appear in a preassigned location and are they the same as the units already marked down as "in production" for Russia when the game begins?

In short, I'd be really grateful if someone could explain how mobilization starts and can be monitored in the game, and what its consequences are. Sorry if this is an easy one to answer, but for a new player experiencing the game for the first time, there's a lot to take on board!

Many thanks!

Hi Tiresias,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game and to answer your question, each country has a Mobilization Value that reflects their current political leaning towards any particular side. Once it reaches 100% they are considered fully mobilized and can then declare war and in effect become 'belligerent' with another nation.

To determine the mobilization status or 'value' this can be seen in several places, if you hover the mouse over the little Major flags at the bottom right panel of the game play area it will show a % next to the country name, also right below the flags in the chart you will see the mobilization % value shown there as well.

Once a nation is fully mobilized, if you navigate to the War Map you can see the %s there as well as the leanings, i.e. either leaning Central Powers or Entente. From there you can select who you wish to declare war against as well.

In the case of Russia, I can see that there might be some confusion there as Russia is fully mobilized percentage wise, i.e. they start at 100% mobilization, but the popups do use the word 'mobilize' to describe the various arrivals of new units to the front. These are actually two separate things and not mean to imply that Russia is not yet at war.

Hopefully this helps,

Hubert

I am not quite sure about which parts of the manual you are talking, but I am pretty sure that mobilisation and belligerence refers to the same thing. Basically each country has a mobilisation value which determines how close it is to entering the war. Once it is at war this value is 100% and the country just receives its maximum amount of MPPs * by its industrial modifier. Russia is already at war at the start of the game and thus has a mobilisation of 100%. A country like Turkey starts with a lower mobilisation and gets a few points extra each turn, continually increasing the percentage of its MPPs it gathers. Diplomacy and declarations of war also affect its mobilisation value. Unfortunately there is currently no way of seeing how much declarations of war will affect the mobilisation value.

Then there are a bunch of triggers at the start of the game that show a message like "XX is mobilising its army". These are scenario specific and have nothing to do with the other meaning of mobilisation: they are just special triggers put in there by the scenario creator. These extra units cannot be seen on the production schedule.

Does this answer your questions?

Edit: Hubert beat me to it.