National Morale the ups and downs?

Holding cities of your enemies increases your national morale by its NM value each turn. Triggers also increase national morale, such as when the US enters the war. Generally the casualties each turn will be larger than the returns however, as you'd have to control 20 enemy villages for a turn to compensate for a single lost corps.

From my side it is still a problem. I already made 3 matches and lost all three very fast. For example in my first game my Austrian side reaches NM under 20 % in about 20 turns (end of 1915). I must surrender because I could not hurt the enemy in any case. Odds were about 2:0, 0 for me. Germans lost their fleet quickly and were about a NM about 45 I remember. Similar the other 2 games. You, correction I can not adjust a shrinking NM in any case. When you notice a bad NM it is too late to counter. Game over :(

2 different opponents. One player I played a second time after the quick defeat. Same result.

OK, at the first time I did not catch all units in Austria. One quick horse unit go thru the lines and take 3 or 4 Austrian cities in a row. NM went down quickly. I try to catch him but this time I was surprised in the rear from the Russians. Then I take the wrong Italian option and Austrian NM falls under 50.

What made the German? Oh, one problem was I did not trench at the right place. The opponents simply got some better weather/turns than I got. More units of mine were destroyed 3 or 4 turns after another. About 5-7 German units and only 3-5 from the allied opponent. German NM falls to 60, never rise up.

I recognize now that you can't destroy own trenches but if the combat places changes you need to. Every trench gets a high NM value. If you leave them and the enemy catch them the NM falls again. Two or three bad turns are enough and you are in bad problems and may loose a game. I think because of the NM you can not counter. The odds are too low then. When the odds reaches 1 or 2 for attacking units you need 5-7 units to destroy a full unit. These units are missing in the defense.

Hi Amadeus

Thanks for the explanation.

The trenches themselves don't have any NM value, and the appearance that they do should be fixed in the next patch. But your unit casualties will have had a big impact, especially if the Germans have lost their navy.

Trenches will be destroyed by leaving them, and if you need to change the facing then you can Entrench again in your next turn with a new facing if necessary.

Giving away Trento-Trieste to Italy does lower Austro-Hungarian NM quite dramatically, but it should buy peace with Italy therefore the cost to NM balances out. Plus you can then afford to use all of the Austro-Hungarian army against the Serbs and Russians.

It looks as though your troops had suffered very badly against the Russians. The best way to prevent this normally is to get Hindenburg and Mackensen moving against the Russians, but I guess that if you've had a hard time in the west then this will be quite difficult.

Once the enemy have good entrenchment then it can be difficult to launch successful attacks until you have Heavy Artillery with upgrades and lots of shells to pound them before the infantry attack.

How much French and Russian territory have the Germans captured?

What do you mean with "Trenches will be destroyed by leaving them". I don't see that at the moment. Anyway if they do not effect my NM it is not that bad.

Nearly no territory in the west was captured and in the east it was the other way round. Germans lost some cities. Only a few I could conquer back. But I wonder how Germany is able to catch Russian cities.

What do you mean with "Trenches will be destroyed by leaving them". I don't see that at the moment. Anyway if they do not effect my NM it is not that bad.

If a trench is empty at the end of a turn then it will be removed from the map.

Nearly no territory in the west was captured and in the east it was the other way round. Germans lost some cities. Only a few I could conquer back. But I wonder how Germany is able to catch Russian cities.

Ah, the Germans need to be very aggressive in the west in the early stages of the game, and in the east carry out a mobile defense with the German forces, i.e. stay concentrated and counterattack when opportunities arise.

Later in 1914 with the reinforcements that arrive and von Mackensen's help it is usually possible to start holding and later pushing the Russians back.

I will soon finishing my fourth game. It looks like that we are ready in 1915. New opponent, same result. I still wonder why nobody gets this issue. In the west I could not hold down Belgium and in the east the Russians are again strong and aggressive.

I already send you a saved game. And yes I played Entente with a similar result. Fall of Paris complete breakdown of french defense and finally I surrender in 1915.

Btw. it is not a problem for me to loose a game. It is only hard to believe that you guys or any other player don't watch this possible issue.