In the two centralpowers campaign games I have played so far I managed to make Serbia surrender both those times

it required me to take three of their cities used as capitols one after the other.

They swapped capitols two times after the starting capitol city Belgrad was captured.

After that the troops gave up and lay down arms and germany got a plunder based on the units giving up.

So what makes Serbia giving up is when they lose their third and last capitol (The old and two new capitols).

I think this is how it works. So the main key to survive as Serbia is to keep the third capitol at all cost

prefarable newer lose Belgrad in the first place or the second capitol.

The other cities doesnt affect the surrender but contribute to the

income for Russia that can buy Serbian troops.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. It's good to know what you must do. For some reason I thought every city had to be taken for Serbia to surrender so all of my Serbians were within the country's borders at the moment of surrender and were lost forever instead of preemptively fleeing to Albania. According to Bill: "Any parts of the Belgian army which are in France when the Germans take their last capital will not surrender but will continue fighting. The same applies to any Serbian units that are outside Serbia but on friendly territory when their last capital falls".

Generally you just need to take the capital (even when it moves these locations need to be secured as well) as well as destroy enough units for the country to officially surrender.

Once it does, then it is the normal behaviour for any remaning units to essentially *disappear* from the map.

Just wondering why is it that you have made the units abroad of its home nation continue to fight when its home nation surrender while those inside its homenation does surrender?

This would make some sense if the units abroad was under some other countries command and supply and having their goverment in exile but for example for Serbia that doesnt seem to be the case.

Should it not be better to have the countries that go in exile have their units continue to fight regardless where they are while those nations that surrender without going into exile have all their surviving units dismantled?

The problem here is that then someone could just evacuate the country and leave it to go and fight in a better situation elsewhere. So what we have here is a strong incentive for players to defend Serbia's homeland up until the last minute, as well as the possibility of evacuation if it's not left too late.