Questions about download limit/shipping etc.

UsF

Hello,

Since the announcement of Combat Mission Battle for Normandy (and the note on RockPaperShotgun also helped), I have been increasingly interested in more of the Combat Mission games. I own the Combat Mission Shock Force version, but I do so from Gamersgate.

On this download site, I found out that there is no patch delivered after version 1.20 for this version, except if you upgrade for a nominal fee (or if you buy an expansion pack).

I also own all the Theatre of War games on the Steam platform, when they were on sale.

I do like to purchase digital distributed products on platforms that offer infinite re-downloads, that is why I am hesitant here. I also like to play games as fast as possible, that is why I am kind of unsure about having the game shipped to me only.

My questions regarding these things, would be:

1. Will Combat Mission Battle for Normandy be distributed over other services besides the Battlefront store?

2. Will the other versions (if there are any) continue to be supported and not "dropped" like the Paradox version (whatever the reasons are, I am sure there were legitimate ones)?

3. If I purchase a retail version, does this require an activation as well?

4. If it does require an activation, do I receive the activation code right on purchase as well (since it is mentioned that these things are stored on my account) or are they only linked to my user once I activate it by hand and the code itself is found in the jewel case?

Basically, I would like to purchase this online with infinite redownload possiblity OR purchase it as a boxed version and have it delivered as soon as possible, or both (which is available). I prefer the digital version though and because I do not own a cd or dvd burner, it should also be in a place where it can be redownloaded infinitely or where I do not have an issue activating any other version with a legitimate key.

Also, have you thought about offering a torrent tracker service where your customers could share the setup files on a trusted tracker with their username and password required to aquire and download the torrent file? This way, the bandwith cost would not be in your hands. I do not know how costly it is to maintain a secure tracker.

Can owners of non Battlefront version still participate in the discussion on these forums? :P

Last but not least, is there a public beta planned for CM:BN (uncancle-able preorders maybe)? The RPS Question and Answers post has me really hyped and playing CM:SF again for some time really made me look forward to the scenario, since I like the World War 2 one much more. The recent surge of "buy now, play the alpha/beta right away"-kind of games has me hooked and it sure is fun to look at early versions of the game, see the quirks getting fixed and experiencing sometimes fun bugs (and of course the fun of having your savegames wiped).

Hey welcome.. I think BFC might give more definite information in the Combat Mission area, but some easy ones..

You can register and talk on the forums even without the games, so for certain, you can with a different version do the same.

You can also here at BFC download the 1.31 fix to the CMSF game, and it covers all versions.

Welcome aboard!

Ron

You don't need to pay a dollar to get your Gamersgate CMSF up to 1.31. Here's from the 1.21 Gamersgate patch details located here:

This is a special v1.21 upgrade for customers who own the retail version of Combat Mission Shock Force (v1.10+) ONLY (and no modules). Paradox Interactive has stopped support for Combat Mission Shock Force and will not be publishing any more patches. Battlefront.com however continues to improve CMSF, and we want our retail customers not left stranded. This special v1.21 upgrade "converts" your retail game version of CMSF into a "Battlefront version". After you apply this upgrade you will be able to use any future Battlefront.com patches. No special retail patches will be necessary!
So you update to 1.21 Gamersgate and then get the normal BF 1.31 incremental. Then your good to go!

P.S. This should of been posted in the CMSF Tech support forum.

P.S.S. Who is charging a dollar to upgrade?

When I click on the download button, it wants me to add the update to the cart for the price of one dollar. Another thread said that it was related to the cost of the DRM and providing downloads of patches.

If I find a solution with the redownload of games or a fast delivery, I wont have any issue though, since the information for the patch also reads that this update is not needed in case of a present module installation. :)

1. Will Combat Mission Battle for Normandy be distributed over other services besides the Battlefront store?

At some point, probably yes. We put most of our games into third party channels *eventually*. This may take a couple of years, though :) We do it only usually when we feel that we have catered to our core market already. We like to sell to that core market directly; this ensures that the people who made the game are getting the compensation for the game.

2. Will the other versions (if there are any) continue to be supported and not "dropped" like the Paradox version (whatever the reasons are, I am sure there were legitimate ones)?

This isn't a question that can be answered by anybody. Paradox dropped support for the game after a dozen or so patches, nearly three years after the initial release. No game gets that much support from anyone, anyway (except ours from us) :) So this isn't surprising at all. Few publishers give their customers as much free stuff as we do ;)

3. If I purchase a retail version, does this require an activation as well?

There is no retail version planned at this point, so I can't answer that. For someone who says that he likes infinite downloads and Steam (which is an online activation system ad infinitum), you seem to have odd concerns :)

4. If it does require an activation, do I receive the activation code right on purchase as well (since it is mentioned that these things are stored on my account) or are they only linked to my user once I activate it by hand and the code itself is found in the jewel case?

I suggest that you read our Knowledgebase at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk. All of your questions are answered there about how we work. But to answer your question: you get your key immediately after purchase for "download only" and "download&mail" delivery options, and do not have to wait for the mail to arrive. That would be... well, odd. For "mail only" purchases, of course, you have to wait for the mail.

Basically, I would like to purchase this online with infinite redownload possiblity OR purchase it as a boxed version and have it delivered as soon as possible, or both (which is available).

We offer "download & mail" options. All pre-orders are "download&mail" automatically.

I prefer the digital version though and because I do not own a cd or dvd burner, it should also be in a place where it can be redownloaded infinitely or where I do not have an issue activating any other version with a legitimate key.

You do not need a disc burner to make a backup copy. You can copy to a USB stick (they're a couple of bucks these days) and put that somewhere safe. We do not offer infinite download storage at the moment. We may do it at some point, but it's not planned in the near future.

Also, have you thought about offering a torrent tracker service...

No torrent anything from us.

Can owners of non Battlefront version still participate in the discussion on these forums?

Sure. Many Theatre of War players like yourself who bought it from Steam (where it is a subcontract from us anyway) are here.

Last but not least, is there a public beta planned for CM:BN (uncancle-able preorders maybe)?

No, sorry.

Martin

When I click on the download button, it wants me to add the update to the cart for the price of one dollar. Another thread said that it was related to the cost of the DRM and providing downloads of patches.

Correct. In order to switch you from the Paradox version to our version, we need to pay license fees to eLicense. The $1 upgrade covers this cost (plus other associated cost).

If I find a solution with the redownload of games or a fast delivery, I wont have any issue though, since the information for the patch also reads that this update is not needed in case of a present module installation.

You can redownload games for 365 days after your first download, for up to 10 times. Downloads expire automatically after that. But you do not need to redownload anything more than once. Unlike many other services, you can copy our games as often as you like. Which means that after downloading it once, you can make a copy to your USB stick, external HD etc. and keep the Setup file there *infinitely*. There is no need to download it again, just keep what you downloaded once and don't delete it.

Martin

PS. As for "fast delivery", I'm not sure what this means exactly, but when you purchase a "download&mail" from us, you get the key (and download; unless it's a non-released pre-order) right away, and the hardgoods (printed manual, disc etc.) come in mail usually a few days later.

Interesting, I had no idea there was indeed a dollar charge for non-BF and non-module folks to get past the 1.21 update. I can see why a customer will feel a bit, nickel & dimed because of this. However, how many other devs out there continue to update their games for over three years post-launch.

Thank you. Hearing that pre-order is download and e-mail together has me sold, once it is available. Sad news on the beta though. Oh well, the AARs are a good read and will keep me excited, sadly in a way though, I do not like anticipation. :D

Regarding online activation for retail version, it was just a lead question to the follow up one. I generally do not like DRM systems, but I can see them being required. As long as they are not restricting too much (always online DRM anyone?) or troubling the user (persistent activation limit), it is ok with me. Yes I use Steam, the added benefits make up the restriction to one user account without reselling-ability.

Anyway can't wait for CM:BfN. Anticipation has stopped being fun for me as a gamer a long time ago. :(:P

Edit: Fast delivery was regarding the delivery speed in days to Germany, which is mentioned in your sales policy. I read that games are also shipped from within Germany, so I was wondering if those would arrive sooner than 3-5days occasionally. I'm impatient like that.

No disc version of BfN? Aw. :(

As long as they are not restricting too much (always online DRM anyone?) or troubling the user (persistent activation limit), it is ok with me. Yes I use Steam, the added benefits make up the restriction to one user account without reselling-ability.

While Steam is not "always online", it is "often online" and conducts checks in the background. With our DRMs we always pay attention to a) be transparent to the user and B) not conduct any checks after the initial activation.

Edit: Fast delivery was regarding the delivery speed in days to Germany, which is mentioned in your sales policy. I read that games are also shipped from within Germany, so I was wondering if those would arrive sooner than 3-5days occasionally. I'm impatient like that.

Yes, our European warehouse is in Germany. However, as of this year, pre-orders are now ALWAYS shipped out of our main warehouse in the US. This is to simplify our infrastructure, reduce cost, as well as make releases quicker (no need to stock up on products in two warehouses first).

There will still be hardgoods for CMBN(printed manual and disc) available through the BF site. This I'm sure of. I think Moon was just saying we won't be seeing it in digital and retail stores, at least not for awhile.

Correct. In fact, for CMBN we will not only have a "disc version" with manual and disc, but it will be a retail-production worthy special box (and limited edition, too). More details when we announce the pre-orders.

Martin

Asits a shipping thread : )

Korea's Daewoo is to build the world's largest ship for Mærsk line. The US$190 million, 400 meter 'Triple-E' class behemoths will carry 18,000 TEU containers, 2500 more than the current largest, Emma Mærsk. Superior economies of scale will enable the new monsters to surpass the industry record for both fuel efficiency and (20% better) CO2 emissions per container moved. In a move set to impact global shipping transport costs and efficiencies, ten Triple-E ships will go into service between 2013 and 2015 with a further 20 ships optioned. If the same number of containers were loaded on a train, it would be 110 km long. If they were stacked on top of one another, they'd reach beyond the stratosphere (47 km).

Thanks for all the replies and support. Last question I have, regarding all this (for now ;) ):

You said pre-orders are download plus shipping in general, right? Does that mean they will always have the shipping costs attached to them, will they have no shipping cost or will you be able to order download or download plus mail for those?

You said pre-orders are download plus shipping in general, right? Does that mean they will always have the shipping costs attached to them, will they have no shipping cost or will you be able to order download or download plus mail for those?

Since pre-orders are always 'download & mail', naturally they always include Shipping&Handling.

"Download only' as well as 'Mail only' delivery options are available after the actual release of the game. 'Download only' does not include any mailed items, and hence does not include S&H fees. 'Mail only' includes mailed items (but no immediate download), and hence S&H is added.

Since pre-orders are always 'download & mail', naturally they always include Shipping&Handling.

I just tried to preorder Theatre of War 3 Korea and the order wants to add the 20 Dollar for shipping again. Can you clarify this for me? I am confused, since you said it was included. :(

Subtotal: $35.00

Shipping and Handling Fee: $20.00

Total: $55.00

Tax Total: $0.00

I just tried to preorder Theatre of War 3 Korea and the order wants to add the 20 Dollar for shipping again. Can you clarify this for me? I am confused, since you said it was included. :(

Subtotal: $35.00

Shipping and Handling Fee: $20.00

Total: $55.00

Tax Total: $0.00

By "included" I mean that the "Shipping"Handling" fee has always to be added for pre-orders because they always include a mail component. So by "included" I actually meant that they are always "added". Darn language, diffcult smtms... :)

I just realised that if the pre-order is only shipped from the US then there may well be additional charges. AFAIR when I had CMBO by the time I paid UPS and tax it was £15-20 extra. So 50% more cost.

However I suppose if the game is downloaded the back-up disk and manual may be valued under 15£ and thereore not attract import duty????

It's a bit of a grey zone. As you say, one could argue that the backup CD and manual is not valued at the "full" price you pay for the game. However, it's a grey zone and we're not in a position to fight it out with the customs authorities of the world :) So we will have to include the original order with the full value for customs purposes.

The risk of having to pay taxes on one game is very small. Before we opened our european warehouse we have been shipping out of the US only, and just a very small percentage of customers ever needed to pay duty or import taxes (way less than 1%).

But of course there are no guarantees. So yes, you *may* end up having to pay duties on shipments out of our US warehouse.

The risk increases if you purchase more than 2 copies, from my experience (I guess customs then begins to assume that you're reselling).