Gun stats

Hi guys,

I am very excited to have learned about this new edition of the Combat Mission series, I was a great fan of Combat Mission 1, 2 & 3, so I was naturally very excited when I saw this one was about to launch.

I have some questions however. One of the things I really loved about the other CM games was the angle of impact effect on armor penetration, and that the 30 deg penetration specs for each gun could be brought up by a simple click of button. Was a very nice addition, esp. for us history nuts, but also for newcomers as an education device.

So anyway my question is this: Will CM:BN like the previous games feature the angle of impact system, with vehicle positioning and armor slope having an effect on penetration? And will players be able to see the stats of each gun as in previous titles?

Cheers!

Timber,

Mike answered the first part of your question and the second part is explained by Steve below. The issue of including penetration tables was discussed at length in that post and the good news is that it is a probable add-on in the future. If you are familiar with SF then from what I read that is what you will see.

Try playing the game and finding out?

Most players like to play games and master them through direct play. But I agree, it would be nice to have some more information than what the game will provide. But it isn't mandatory.

Sheesh... I don't remember you being such a "glass half empty" kinda guy, but wow... you certainly are making that impression now. Tell you what... why not save yourself a lot of misery and angst before the game is out and don't read anything more. Wait until the demo is out, play the demo, and then decide for yourself if these things you're so upset about are really all that important. And if they are, then start in with the glass half empty stuff.

Real life crews often didn't know much about the capabilities of their weapons or the weaknesses of the vehicles they were going up against. Or, in fact, what tanks they were engaging when fighting. One of the first tanks killed by a Pershing was a King Tiger. The gunner wrote a memoir about his time at the front. He didn't even know what a King Tiger was when he shot and killed it.

If the game isn't capable of holding people's attention without penetration information, I can promise you that having Jenz himself write an ingame section per vehicle would not cause the game to be played a day longer.

This isn't to say that ammo penetration charts aren't useful or even desirable for some people. I think they are, which is why we will get them into the game at some point. It's just that we feel it's not worth holding the game up for another 6 months to put in various "must haves" that aren't really central to the game.

Steve