Ferrari F150 and the Ford F-150: can you spot the difference?

dieseltaylor

Ford Motor Co. filed a lawsuit Thursday against luxury sports car maker Ferrari S.p.A. and its American sales arm, accusing them of cyber piracy and misusing the F-150 name. The lawsuit was filed in federal court in response to Ferrari naming its new Formula 1 racing car the “F150.” The Italian automaker has also created a website for the sports car, www.ferrarif150.com. Ford claims the Italian company's name, spelled without a hyphen, is too close to the hyphenated one of the Ford F-150 pickup. The Detroit News first reported on the lawsuit earlier today. On Jan. 25, Ferrari said it would name its new Formula 1 car the “F150.” Ferrari says the name is a reference to the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy.

OK so perhaps the Yanks have a better idea of hpw confused the US population can be. But given the race car is not for sale, and their is no F1 racing in the US, and Ferrari is a good brand you would think Ford might benefit from any possible confusion.

Still, stupidity and automakers .....

A magnificent example of the extent to which we in the US have become a ridiculously lawsuit-bound society. Does Ford honestly think that some yahoo in the market for a new pickup is going to mistakenly buy a GP car instead? I mean, really? I'd think they'd be too embarrassed to mention this in public. This will benefit no one but the lawyers.

Michael

Next!

DETROIT/MILAN (Reuters) -- Ferrari said today it will use the full name of its "Ferrari F150th Italia" Formula One car from now on after Ford Motor Co. sued the Italian automaker over the use of the abbreviation "F150."

Ferrari's F150 logo was too similar to Ford's F-150 pickup truck, part of the top-selling vehicle series in the United States, Ford said in a complaint filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

As of noon local time, Ford said it had not yet received formal notification of Ferrari's plans.

"Ferrari has misappropriated the F-150 trademark in naming its new racing vehicle the 'F150' in order to capitalize on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark," Ford said in the complaint on Wednesday.

For petes sake!

For petes sake!

Not to defend Ford, but isn't there some odd quirk in trademark law that pretty much compels mark holders to defend any breach - real, perceived, or otherwise - that they become aware of, lest letting one go become a precedent for other future cases which would more clearly be a breach? In other words, if Ford chose to ignore the Ferrari because... hey - who the heck is going to confuse one for the other? then a year or so down the track GM could name a light truck F150 and use the Ferrari precedent to tell Ford to go rotate.

Not that Ford shouldn't go rotate, of course.

Or sumfink.

Yeah this comes up prety frequently these days, often Apple is the bad guy. In this case though I do wonder whether Ferrari was hoping for a little controversy over their name.

Apple probably does have some legitimate worries about losing control of its trademarks. iPads and Pods are pretty ubiquitous in common language usage and Apple is not exactly an uncommon or unique trade name.

Is three numbers prefixed by a letter even really trademarkable? Seems like they are complaining about the logo not the name.

but isn't there some odd quirk in trademark law

There are plenty of quirks. Back when I worked for Beyond 2000, I was sitting in an airport cafe having breakfast and when my croissant arrived, the little single serve butter thing (for some reason) said Anchor Butter: Beyond 2000 and in a font that was pretty close to our logo.

I called our elgal department's attention to it and they eventually decided they couldn't sue because of the lack of difference between our products (butter vs. a TV science show).