CAS Friendly Fire

Well I am pretty new, and I experienced something for the first time.

I was assaulting an enemy town, I had hit the edge with artillery, smoke, and had an active AH64 CAS mission on the area as well. One of my infantry units was moving quick to a building. Just inside the perimeter of the AH64 attack area. It hit them with cannon fire! Killed 2 and wounded 2, it was shocking to be honest, I paused the game. Kind of wish I took a screen shot.

There were no enemy units around, they were still 20m at least from the closest building in a field. This game amazes me every day.

Don't rely on the circle graphic at all, CAS will engage targets far from it if they spot them. Even friendlies. It's much worse in CMA though, I remember one campaign mission where, in low-light conditions my defensive positions were rocketed to oblivion by Hinds when the circle ended some 250 meters away. It also depends on the quality of the spotter and the aircraft itself. No FLIR on those babies. :(

Try calling some archaic fast movers dropping dumb bombs with a Conscript DRA HQ team and watch where they end up. :D

Yeah. these guys are right...and it even happens in the real world with highly sophisticated aircraft,comms,and weapons....most grunts love hearing the air support go over their heads....and keep going :-P someplace far off,preferably. In game, I usually call in air strikes very very far away from my OP...with both CAS and Artillery, you can actually improve your results if you learn to time your arrival at the target location, immediately after the last rounds land...with CAS, you can time it such..when the pilot says 30seconds out..check to see how much ammo he has..if it is about out, roll forward. He will release his bombload and RTB, and you want your guys rolling up on whoever survived the bombs, immediately as they stick their shocked little pixel eyes up. Perfect that timing, and you will smash just about any opposition.

Don't rely on the circle graphic at all, CAS will engage targets far from it if they spot them. Even friendlies. It's much worse in CMA though, I remember one campaign mission where, in low-light conditions my defensive positions were rocketed to oblivion by Hinds when the circle ended some 250 meters away. It also depends on the quality of the spotter and the aircraft itself. No FLIR on those babies. :(

Try calling some archaic fast movers dropping dumb bombs with a Conscript DRA HQ team and watch where they end up. :D

250m is still danger close, mistakes will happen...