Calling artillery

Is the process for calling in artillery going to be similar as in CMSF? Similar in that you can ask for how many tubes you want, how heavy and how long the arty will fall? I don't know how they did it back then. I know there are no VT fuses until later.

What about on the first turn of the scenario? Can you still control how long you want the volley to be? Or is it all or nothing as in CMx1?

Similar in that you can ask for how many tubes you want, how heavy and how long the arty will fall? I don't know how they did it back then.

there were huge differences in doctrines between nations. i think in most cases they wouldn't go to such details, but would rather call one of the standard fires. usually fires were such that numbers were calculated in artillery battalions instead of tubes (fires by such small numbers like individual batteries were considered wasteful because of lacking results). of course you get silly stuff like some Finnish FOs calling in single individual rounds (as crazy and theoretically impossible as it sounds, for example to target and succesfully destroy an individual enemy tank), but it would be exceptional.

Artillery was less flexable in ww2 than present day.

It should be harder to use and take longer to get rounds on target.(and subtract all the different munitons you have present today).

- US artillery doctrine was the best (the Brits copied it for their use late in the war 43>).

-German doctrine was ok just its effective use deterorated fast as the war progressed (most of it was horse drawn).

-Russian artillery doctrine though good in the beginning the disasters of Barbarossa in 41 distroyed most of the arm and it never really recovered until the very end of the war. Yes Russian prebombardments could be devastating and were used to great effect but the artillery arm lacked flexability. They where not short of tubes just effective ways to use them due to lack of trained artillery spotters and reliable radios. I always felt that CM1 was way to generous with the Russian arty spotters but I can see some game balance issues there. Its going to be fun to see how that all works in CM2 in the east front modules.

The interface for calling artillery is the same as in CM:SF. However, that doesn't mean artillery behaves the same. There are two major differences that will be keenly felt by anybody who played Blue in CM:SF:

1. Very few units are allowed to call in artillery at all

2. C2 is very limited

In CM:SF the Blue forces could pretty much call in any artillery it wanted from any soldier pretty much any time. The delays might be really tough to wait on, and there could be C2 interruptions, but inherently the chances of not being able to call in some form of artillery in a reasonable time was extremely good. This is not the case in CM:BN.

Steve