Self surrender as an option?

Reading the DAR/AAR I got to thinking about a possible option that we didn't have in CMX1. In CMSF except for one side totally surrendering to end the scenario there were no prisoners so this is a new feature for CMX2. I am making a big assumption that taking prisoners nets one more points than causing casualties and as I recall that's how it was in CMX1. Like wise having your men surrender loses you more points. What if it were reversed however? And what if there was an option so that you could self surrender one of your units? Naturally you would only do this in a hopeless case but wouldn't this be a reflection of the actual event? Wouldn't it make sense to surrender your troops in a hopeless position rather than lose more points to have them killed or wounded. I'm sure I haven't thought through all the repercussions of having this as an option in addition to having guys surrendering as coded now. That's why I'm asking you guys. ;)

Just brainstorming here, but a few points occur to me.

1. You should get VPs for any enemy losses whatsoever. Those are men that the enemy no longer has available to fight with.

2. You should get more points for inflicting WIAs than KIAs. Why? Because caring for WIAs represents a larger drain on enemy resources than burying dead.

3. POWs. This is a hard one. If POWs can provide useful intelligence, you should get a lot of points for capturing them. Otherwise, they are just a drain on your own resources, and should represent the least VPs awarded. There would need to be some mechanism, even if it is just rolling a die, to determine how many VPs you should get for captures.

Michael

Best thing would be to include it in the detailed victory conditions the scenario makers can define at the moment. In CMSF it is already possible to assign the severity of casualty numbers in the final victory conditions, as well as putting a weight on state of the force.

But although it would not be rocket science, it would take time...

If you got victory points for surrendering your own men,rather then letting them be killed,then imagine the victory points the U.S. would have recieved when Major General Edward King surrendered in the Philipines.:D Or better yet,The German victory points for Von Paulus.:eek:

Paulus was a bit too low on the negative end due to losses and organisation so I still think it'd be a Major Axis defeat. ;)