Heavy artillery and tanks

Armor losses by indirect fire durring the second world war certainly did happen. Lighter vehicals where more vulnerable but even the heavys if they where taking large cal HE could still be knocked out. Suspention damage means inmobility thats as good as a knock out (you did not have to be hit just in the top armor).

Artillery... is a stinky kettle of fish in a game Table top or on a computer. If every time I played axis in a game and my tanks are blasted by P47s and Typhoons or pounded to scrap by 8inch HE. That can make you toss a set of rules or delete a game off the hard drive. None of us will play a game where out comes are always the same there is no fun in that. And we are talking about a game so that means balancing the play ability and realism. I never had any problems with the artillery in CM1. I am sure it will be ok in CM2BN.

He was probably setting the artillery to "General," which results in HE shells, which will probably not do much even to a BMP. Had he set it to "Armor," you would most likely not be laughing. ;) I've killed T-72s with top hits from 81mm mortars set to "Armor," so I know it's possible. The trick is hitting them.

Armor still uses HE, albeit with tighter dispersion and delayed fusing (you'll really only see any effect from this v. buildings). There is not AT ammo for the 81mm anyways.

There are no PGM arty rounds in CMSF, either.