Enemy capablility representation

Over in the Normandy thread it was mentioned that CMSF graphically represents the armor effectiveness of enemy vehicles. As one who plays only iron mode because of the spotting rules I was unaware of this. A little experimentation showed that only basic training mode reveals this information.

So I'm asking, would BF consider making that information visible in all modes of play? As it is now I can <alt-tab> out of game and check the appropriate manual, but that seems like an immersion breaking activity to me. What would be the downside of showing this information in all modes of play? Is there anyone who would object, and if so for what reason?

My view is that once I know the capabilities of a given unit I would never look at the information again, but with so many vehicle modeled across so many modules it will take me years of <alt-tabbing>to integrate the rough outlines these graphics provide. And then, after I start playing CMBN I'll start forgetting about modern unit characteristics so when I play the occasional CMSF game I'll still be <alt-tabbing> for each enemy unit.

So, I like the spotting rules of iron mode but I would like to access enemy unit characteristics with the game. If BF was open to it would it be too much work to put in the next patch?

Well, I'm playing Red right now in one of my pbems and found myself <alt-tabbing> to get information. I was only asking for something if it was an easy fix, or, more importantly for the UI in CM:BN while it is still in development.

I definitely have no idea how difficult it would be to include the information in all modes of play, but I'm imagining it's just a matter of duplicating a section of code for the modes it's not included in, i.e., the code for it already exists and is use in basic training mode.

The bigger question for me is why this type of information is left out of veteran, elite, and iron modes. It seems like a pretty artificial way of making things more deadly. In my mind's eye, as scarey place to be sure, the information is elemental to so many in-game decisions it's absence seems somewhat surprising. But that information is exactly why I have the game manuals on my desktop.

I was only asking for something if it was an easy fix, or, more importantly for the UI in CM:BN while it is still in development.

Sure and it joins a list of potentially easy fixes with less than one person to work on it.

So do you get this is and the panzerfaust bug fix doesn’t make it?

You said yourself you’d only use it once.

I definitely have no idea how difficult it would be to include the information in all modes of play, but I'm imagining it's just a matter of duplicating a section of code for the modes it's not included in, i.e., the code for it already exists and is use in basic training mode.

If you don’t know why guess and assume its easy?

But that information is exactly why I have the game manuals on my desktop.

Well as you have a workaround I suspect that’s what they’ll recommend to others.

The information is already there for people to read (I know a dying skill) so why potentially break something else by trying to implement some other solution?

I'm not going to respond line by line. I am not a computer programmer but I do understand the concept of modular. BF has been very open about the modular nature of the game engine.

In one mode of play information is shown in a pane and in the other 3 modes of play an empty pane is presented. If the game is programmed in a truly modular way there is a section of code that already exists for one mode that can be plugged into the other 3 modes in a copy and paste action. My limited programming background coupled with information from BF leads me to this conclusion.

I'd be very happy to be informed by someone who knows that it would be more difficult than this if that is the case. Are you such a person? If not, I turn your question around and ask you, if you don't know why guess and assume it's difficult?

[edit: leaving the game and reading a manual is not much of a solution, btw]

If not, I turn your question around and ask you, if you don't know why guess and assume it's difficult?

Because we have already asked and been told so - OK?

[edit: leaving the game and reading a manual is not much of a solution, btw]

Well it is if you only need to look at it “once“ which was the basis of your original request.

Thanks for sharing...

Well it is if you only need to look at it “once“ which was the basis of your original request.

Not what I wrote at all...

[edit: what axe are you grinding that you would so willfully distort what I said?]

[2nd edit: it really makes me wonder about the truthfulness of your other replies]

I am not a computer programmer but I do understand the concept of modular.

In one mode of play information is shown in a pane and in the other 3 modes of play an empty pane is presented. If the game is programmed in a truly modular way there is a section of code that already exists for one mode that can be plugged into the other 3 modes in a copy and paste action. My limited programming background coupled with information from BF leads me to this conclusion.

Copy and paste is the opposite of modular programming.

Thanks for sharing...

Well I there comes a point where if I didn’t say that you’d just keep pestering.

The alternative is to ignore your post entirely.

Not what I wrote at all...

Perhaps not verbatim but that’s pretty much what the following means doesn’t it (my emboldening)?

My view is that once I know the capabilities of a given unit I would never look at the information again,

Why not quote the entire sentence? Why leave out:

"but with so many vehicle modeled across so many modules it will take me years of <alt-tabbing>to integrate the rough outlines these graphics provide."

Don't bother responding, it's a rhetorical question to which I already know the answer.

But LOL at anyone who honestly thinks I wrote I would only use it once.