ad hoc IED/VBIED

I am creating a scenario, and wanted to give the Syrian/uncon side a chance to use a mobile VBIED. I had observed before that AFVs when exploded, create damage to personnel and to other vehicles nearby, so my attempt was to drive a BMP or other vehicle with a magazine inside of it, up to a place where it could be near a transit route for an advancing blue column, and then have the crew dismount, and use their own weapons to try to detonate it, from a safe distance(safe for them, at least). However, every time I have tested it, the blue side fires on it and kills it long before they get close to it. So, I am wondering if any designers may have an idea for a way to do this. I know there are "IEDs" in the game already, but they are mostly prepositioned by the scenario creator, and I am just wanting to give the red side a chance to take advantage of a situation that may not have existed at say, the beginning of a longer scenario, and also if the idea will work, I have some other adaptations of it I will be trying to put together.

It will be interesting to see if there is any way to discourage a blue unit from shooting at a red AFV as soon as it's visible. Sounds a lot harder to do what you sound like you want to do than to use the red AFV to shoot at blue from a distance as it is supposed to.

What intrigued me in your post was the possibility of creating a roadblock by moving or parking a red AFV in a spot on top of a massive IED and setting that off.

Also, if you could find a location where a red AFV could be placed so that the blue forces cannot see it until they are almost on top of it, you may achieve what you are trying to.

Other designers (Paper Tiger esp) have found how to place bunkers which are impossible to see until you are almost on top of them, (in a victory location) and you HAVE to get very close to see to kill them. If such a hidden bunker (or vehicle presumably) were combined with a massive IED...?

It will be interesting to see if there is any way to discourage a blue unit from shooting at a red AFV as soon as it's visible. Sounds a lot harder to do what you sound like you want to do than to use the red AFV to shoot at blue from a distance as it is supposed to.

What intrigued me in your post was the possibility of creating a roadblock by moving or parking a red AFV in a spot on top of a massive IED and setting that off.

Also, if you could find a location where a red AFV could be placed so that the blue forces cannot see it until they are almost on top of it, you may achieve what you are trying to.

Other designers (Paper Tiger esp) have found how to place bunkers which are impossible to see until you are almost on top of them, (in a victory location) and you HAVE to get very close to see to kill them. If such a hidden bunker (or vehicle presumably) were combined with a massive IED...?

The "roadblock" you mention, is exactly what I am looking for...and using an old BTR that doesn't stand much of a chance of actually hurting many of the blue vehicles by shooting at them..figure,maybe it could get one...but creating a traffic jam, or, a "kill zone" with limited assets yourself, by disabling and causing suppression to a vehicle in front of a convoy,while concentrating most of your limited assets against a vehicle in back, in a "canyon" type of map where there are few optional routes available,then using RPGs,etc to damage the remaining vehicles in the convoy while they try to maneuver out of the ambush, is the rough idea of what I am doing.... however, I had not even considered combining an IED with the vehicle,that is a good idea, except that it would require it to be prepositioned, and in this map, blue has basically 3 possible avenues of approach, and if played against AI, I cannot find a way to block one,without blocking all,or without making it unplayable after the first time when the blue side figures out where the bomb is...so thought it would work better if the thinking RED player can adapt to BLUEs progress, and set the bomb based upon blue's choice of approach avenue.

One of my favorite scenarios: UK Royal Mud Marines (Brits) I think there may be a US or Marine version as well. On the first objective (a fort on a hill) are a couple of bunkers in woods that one cannot see until one is almost on top of them. That means one has to use only inf and their inf support weapons.

I probably played and reloaded the "assault those bunkers turns" more than any other in all the time I played CMSF as I wanted to see how to deal with bunkers with only inf support weapons.

(I found that one needed to gang up on each bunker with 3-6 squads using TARGET and firing the Brit Light Anti Structure Munitions (LASM's?) or whatever they are called. One has to quickly suppress the crews and then it takes a few turns of TARGET to kill em all or force an abandonment.)

:)

I work for Sushi.

(My cat loves it.)

And BTW, I am sure you will love the Brits. They are a lot tougher to play than the US as their vehicles (usually) have lower ammo loadouts and they have a lot fewer destructive toys. But, they have lots of interesting "Landrover" and dune buggy-type vehicles with dismountable MG's and Grenade Launchers. The Brits really made me have to think and plan carefully, rather than the "blow everything to smithereens" approach you saw with the US.